Heavy process load after update

JimFoster
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Heavy process load after update

Post by JimFoster »

How much space are these thumbnails using? I have about 5TB of my own files. 32MB for one app UpnP Media Server 1 and 90GB in other. A few hundred MB will be ADM. What the hell is in "other" besides ADM.
Also I've had a bug with 3.4.5 where when I delete files ADM doesn't report the space I've gained. At least the NAS settled down after running all those new processes for 6 or 8 hours.
This is the first time I regret not getting a Synology(not just coz of the product: NAS boxes are the main thing they sell). The NAS market isn't even a hobby for Asus.
vts

Post by vts »

Glad that I found this thread. My Asustor have been working now 24/7 couple of days with its low performance cpu after some automatic upgrade.

These thumbnails seems to be located in /volume1/.@thumbnail/. Looks like there is hard link to original file (I hope) + different size of thumbnails. For every single original 8MB picture thumbnails take 2MB and is this really going to happen for every image in my NAS. I have not installed any kind of application to nas which would require such thumbnails.

I hope asustor will fix this fuckup.
orion

Post by orion »

vts wrote:These thumbnails seems to be located in /volume1/.@thumbnail/. Looks like there is hard link to original file (I hope) + different size of thumbnails. For every single original 8MB picture thumbnails take 2MB and is this really going to happen for every image in my NAS. I have not installed any kind of application to nas which would require such thumbnails.
I guess those thumbnails should be used by many applications, even ADM internal applications. For example, File Explorer under ADM.
rauhe

Post by rauhe »

Hi all,
Just to follow up - I had this response below from Asustor after I posted a ticket regarding the process load. It seems that they will not fix the 'feature' but they give a way of disabling the thumbnail conversion. This will however need to be done on each restart (cron job maybe?)

I am pretty disappointed. A NAS (Network Area Storage) is, as the name implies, storage. It should not manipulate data in any way, without the users explicite order.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Thank you for contacting us.
Sorry for the inconvenience, this is a known issue that our engineer is currently working on to address it.
Due to the new feature that is coming soon, the thumbnails are needed to be upgraded to the new format.
So the on this ADM version we have started to have it run right after the update.
However, we had made a mistake that we should have to consider that the task should affect end-users daily usage bases.
Our sincere apology if you are really being affected and we will be much careful in the future.
We will release a fix soon where it will grand you the freedom to choose when to have these services to be scheduled.
Currently, the workaround is to manually disable the conversion of the thumbnail by log into the NAS via terminal using root (password is admin account password).
And type in the following command to manually turn off the process

killall -9 thumbnail.

This should disable the conversion until NAS restart.
Best Regard,
Tony
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
vts

Post by vts »

orion wrote:
vts wrote:These thumbnails seems to be located in /volume1/.@thumbnail/. Looks like there is hard link to original file (I hope) + different size of thumbnails. For every single original 8MB picture thumbnails take 2MB and is this really going to happen for every image in my NAS. I have not installed any kind of application to nas which would require such thumbnails.
I guess those thumbnails should be used by many applications, even ADM internal applications. For example, File Explorer under ADM.
I tried File Explorer now and looks like it can display also thumbnails for image files so that explains why there are these thumbnails. I would just hope that these kind of features could be enabled separately. With current speed I expect this convert take over week.

Many users use NAS just for storing files but this is the price you pay to use these kind of consumer NAS boxes :) at least I am happy that ADM is actively updated by Asustor.
wdrury_uk

Post by wdrury_uk »

ALL - I have a fix from Asustor Support!!

Copy/Pasted from my support ticket reply:
Sorry for the inconvenience, this is a known issue that our engineer is currently working on to address it.
Due to the new feature that is coming soon, the thumbnails are needed to be upgraded to the new format.
So the on this ADM version we have started to have it run right after the update.

However, we had made a mistake that we should have to consider that the task should affect end-users daily usage bases.
Our sincere apology if you are really being affected and we will be much careful in the future.

We will release a fix soon where it will grand you the freedom to choose when to have these services to be scheduled.

Currently, the workaround is to manually disable the conversion of the thumbnail by log into the NAS via terminal using root (password is admin account password).

And type in the following command to manually turn off the process

Code: Select all

killall -9 thumbnail
This should disable the conversion until NAS restart.
Last edited by wdrury_uk on Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
wdrury_uk

Post by wdrury_uk »

This FIX has resolved my issue and CPU back to normal 2-3%, plus Disks much less active.

In addition a further update from Support on my ticket:
In matter of fact, we have already put the update for the ADM in a pause for now too.

ETA withing week or 2 should have a new version with the fix or feature that grants you the freedom when to run this conversion process.

If you could help spread out the new, it is always welcome and appreciated.
noebr

Post by noebr »

wdrury_uk wrote:This FIX has resolved my issue and CPU back to normal 2-3%, plus Disks much less active.

In addition a further update from Support on my ticket:
In matter of fact, we have already put the update for the ADM in a pause for now too.

ETA withing week or 2 should have a new version with the fix or feature that grants you the freedom when to run this conversion process.

If you could help spread out the new, it is always welcome and appreciated.
It worked for me too.

I tried to put this in crontab to not have to run manually at every reboot but it didn't work out (it seems there is more than one process). I also tried to rename and even move / delete the thumbnail file from its original location but on reboot it comes back, like a virus :!:

Luckily I use a fan control script so my hard drives didn't exceed 40ºC at 24 hours of high load, but it was pretty scary.

For now we go on like this.
pointer24

Post by pointer24 »

Didn't work for me and my AS 604-T! The process is still running after try "killall -9 thumbnail."
Whats now ... ?
noebr

Post by noebr »

pointer24 wrote:Didn't work for me and my AS 604-T! The process is still running after try "killall -9 thumbnail."
Whats now ... ?
Have you tried to execute the command more than once? If it goes wrong, try restarting the NAS and running the command again.

I had to execute the command more than once until the "success" message appeared, indicating that there were no more processes running.

When the processes are finished it will display the message below:

Code: Select all

root@AS3202T-BC5C:/volume1/.@root # killall -9 thumbnail
killall: thumbnail: no process killed <---------- THIS
I found at least 2 files named "thumbnail" in different locations on the NAS filesystem, I believe each one runs a separate process, so the need to run multiple times.

Return to “[Official] For AS-30X Series”