What is the purpose of sleep mode?

henshin
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

What is the purpose of sleep mode?

Post by henshin »

I just got a AS3204T and I put it in sleep mode to see how it would work. The thing is that I have Wake on LAN enabled to when I want to access the webinterface again it remains in sleep mode. So my question is what is the purpose of sleep mode and when should the user use it?
orion

Re: What is the purpose of sleep mode?

Post by orion »

You can wake NAS up faster from sleep mode when compared to power off mode.
henshin

Post by henshin »

orion wrote:You can wake NAS up faster from sleep mode when compared to power off mode.
I understand but what ways are there to wake the NAS back up? I mean other than by pressing the power button on the back of the device.
orion

Post by orion »

henshin wrote: I understand but what ways are there to wake the NAS back up? I mean other than by pressing the power button on the back of the device.
As you mentioned, wake-up on LAN which is not power button waking up.
henshin

Post by henshin »

orion wrote:
henshin wrote: I understand but what ways are there to wake the NAS back up? I mean other than by pressing the power button on the back of the device.
As you mentioned, wake-up on LAN which is not power button waking up.
henshin wrote:The thing is that I have Wake on LAN enabled to when I want to access the webinterface again it remains in sleep mode.
Wake on LAN doesn't get the NAS out of sleep mode for me when I access the webinterface. It doesn't make sense. Is that supposed to happen?
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Sleep mode have multiple mode and awake mechanism

The most usual is :
"Wake on magic packet"
You need to use a tool (for ex. Asustor Control Center button "action"), but lot of others exist, to send a magic packet to the NAS (MAC Ethernet address) that awake it from sleep mode on from power off mode
THIS mode works on Asustor NAS (if correctly configured)

Another way (not implemented, because require specific hardware and generate some problem) is :
"Wake on pattern match"
Send a pattern (SYN 4, SYN 6, Netbios name query, magic packet, etc.) is enough to awake the system
this require "ARP Offload" option also ...
in this case a simple (based on Arp table maintains at client side) request to the system ... so for ex. to the Web interface ... can awake it BUT it's complex and not all hardware are able to manage this ... also lot of undesired pattern can awake the system even you don't want ...
As I know it's not implemented on Asustor NAS (nor in others NAS brand)
Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
orion

Post by orion »

henshin wrote: Wake on LAN doesn't get the NAS out of sleep mode for me when I access the webinterface. It doesn't make sense. Is that supposed to happen?
Yes. There are many tools (as Philippe mentioned exactly) being able to wake NAS up (not include webinterface). ACC (Asustor Control Center) is the good one.

Return to “[Official] For AS-30X Series”