Is ADM installed on DOM or HDD/SSD???

henshin
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Is ADM installed on DOM or HDD/SSD???

Post by henshin »

I just got a AS3204T and according to the specifications it should have a 512MB DOM (disk on module). I therefore assumed that unlike Synology, Asustor would have the OS (ADM) installed on the DOM. But it seems to me that this is not the case because when I remove my internal storage devices the NAS will say:
Initialize your NAS. Please ensure there is an HDD inside the slot.
My question is, is ADM installed on the DOM or on a other internal storage device (HDD/SSD)? If it's not the DOM, then what is it used for?
orion

Re: Is ADM installed on DOM or HDD/SSD???

Post by orion »

ADM is located on to every disk (mirrored, a small partition). You can treat DOM as an installation software.
henshin

Post by henshin »

orion wrote:ADM is located on to every disk (mirrored, a small partition). You can treat DOM as an installation software.
I have no idea what you mean. Can you clarify that? I do not use any form of RAID so why would an OS be intalled on all drives? What exactly is the purpose of the DOM?
orion

Post by orion »

Did you use PC (Windows or Linux) before? DOM is like a built-in Windows OS installation disk.
henshin

Post by henshin »

orion wrote:Did you use PC (Windows or Linux) before? DOM is like a built-in Windows OS installation disk.
I know what a DOM is. The only question that I need answering to is, is the NAS OS installed on the DOM. Yes or no?
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
henshin wrote:
orion wrote:Did you use PC (Windows or Linux) before? DOM is like a built-in Windows OS installation disk.
I know what a DOM is. The only question that I need answering to is, is the NAS OS installed on the DOM. Yes or no?
As usual response is yes and no
a part is on the DOM
DOM contains multiple partition
1 : UEFI
2 : normal boot kernel (bzimage), initramfs and builtin ... transferred after to disk (volume0)
3 : duplicate of 2 for backup purpose
4 : apkg.tgz ... the basic package for the NAS
ALL of this permit a minimal installation to install full A.D.M. on disk later

On disk after ADM install you retrieve :
... all the buildtin tools, start_up script and software delivered as base of A.DM. (2)
in another partition DATA (4) and user Applications (App Central part)
and as usual swap (3) ...

So YES for the basic part all are in the DOM but NO the visible ADM is a combination of DOM and one of disk partition (2)

Philippe.
NB but what is the real question ???
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
orion

Post by orion »

henshin wrote: I know what a DOM is. The only question that I need answering to is, is the NAS OS installed on the DOM. Yes or no?
As Philippe explained in details, yes (parts of ADM) and no (not full of ADM). :D You can say that Windows installation disk is Windows. And no, it's not Windows. Anyway, I don't know why you want to find the answer either.

Return to “[Official] For AS-30X Series”