Missing power outage setting for safe mode

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Richard
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Missing power outage setting for safe mode

Post by Richard »

I've got a UPS coupled to my NAS and that is working and shuts down the NAS.

Now I wanted to switch to the safe mode option and had a look at the information.

On the Asustor website documentation it says the following for safe mode:
In the event of a power outage, enable the NAS to return to its previous state once power has been restored" setting (configurable via Settings->Hardware->Power), once the NAS has been shut down under safe mode, it will automatically turn on once power has been restored.
But when I look on that page, there is no such setting, not even on any of the tabs from hardware.

On the power page there is only the EUP power configuration and WOL configuration. But not the setting mentioned here on the Asustor support pages.

Has this become build in now and the pages obsolete or why is this option missing?
ndl101

Re: Missing power outage setting for safe mode

Post by ndl101 »

For me on an AS6604T running ADM version 3.5.7.RJR1 (latest at the time of writing), under Settings->Hardware->Power (not under External Devices), there is an additional block named Settings with the option you seem to be missing.
What is the NAS model number and ADM version? If it's an older model, perhaps this is not available for it?

I made it long as I lacked the time to make it short.

---
Help to self-help:
How to ask (good) questions in a forum
---
General information
NAS: Lockerstor 4 (AS6604T)
Richard

Post by Richard »

I indeed have a bit older model, it's an AS304T with it's latest ADM 3.5.7.RJR1. So we have the same ADM version.

Still... it's mentioned on Asustor's website without any exclusions and I do have the power save option and the same firmware as you, so I would expect an option as described then..
But it's not there.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Richard wrote:I indeed have a bit older model, it's an AS304T with it's latest ADM 3.5.7.RJR1. So we have the same ADM version.

Still... it's mentioned on Asustor's website without any exclusions and I do have the power save option and the same firmware as you, so I would expect an option as described then..
But it's not there.
Your manual states it's there. Something must have gone wrong which I can't tell without actually looking into the system. Recommend you to contact Asustor Support for direct assistance.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thank you, Since the previous answer I already suspected it so I put the question out to them.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Well @Nazar78 I got an answer which seems logical to me.
The switch you mentioned in the Settings -> Hardware -> Power will not prevent you from using the UPS. This setting is designed for the user who has specific order to power up devices in a complicated network environment. They might want the NAS to first stay turned off before other devices have booted up, so they will uncheck this setting. For the model 304T, NAS will always turn on automatically after the power recovers, hence there is no such setting option.

The main setting of the UPS (Shut down/Safe mode) is located in the ADM -> External Devices -> UPS -> Preferences. There you can setup your UPS to safe mode and the model 304T will always turn on after the power recovers.
I didn't have the manual anymore, but forgot to look on the internet for it...which was stupid of me. :oops:

In the manual it talks about the option but states:
(This function is available for use with AS-6/7 series devices).
so indeed not the 3.xx devices.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

(This function is available for use with AS-6/7 series devices).
I was looking at the settings section of the manual but this is stated at the external device, UPS. Anyway I have this option on AS-5. Probably a generic manual.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ah it's no problem. At least now we now devices without this option will automatically resume again after power is restored.

Return to “[Official] For AS-30X Series”