Ordering and subtitles issues on Samsung TV

The UPnP Media Server V2 App can turn your NAS into your home's multimedia streaming server.
As long as you have devices that support UPnP or DLNA (for example, SONY BRAVIA TV, SAMSUNG TV or PlayStation 3),
you can directly browse and stream the media files stored on your NAS.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

krzysmir
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Ordering and subtitles issues on Samsung TV

Post by krzysmir »

Hi,
thanks of suggestions that had been given on this forum I bought Asustor AS-302T, after first delights some awkward issues occur which I want to clarify with you - maybe these parts aren't well configured by me or maybe these issues are features, not bugs and I have any clue how to use them correctly ;) Both issues are connected with DLNA fuctionality.
My TV is Samsung LE46C650 (maybe the below mentioned problems are only visible on this TV?).

Going to the point:
  • 1. Subtitles:
    I'm using srt files and if they are in destinated folder before going into the folder everything works correctly (I can play the movie with external subtitles, no problems at all). The problem occurs when I put any movie (from the ext. hdd) / download (from e.g. torrent) without subs on the NAS and will play the movie without srt file. Of course the movie is played as should be (=without subs), but when I add the sub file later I can't use it (it looks like the subtitle file is not visible for my TV, the name of the file is without marking 'external subtitles' like other files with the recognized srt files). Changing of the file names doesn't work here, only changing of the folder name makes the change visible. The next problem is that I can't use the previous folder name because the subs aren't visible as previously (so e.g. when I add next episode of my favourite tv series to specified folder with all episodes I need to rename whole folder name to have subtitles in the newest episode). Do you know any workaround here? Maybe some kind of sync is needed here?
    When I'm using only external hdd connected directly to the TV (without dlna) such combinations aren't needed, I can add/delete everything on the hdd and it works as should be...
  • 2. Order of the folders/files:
    it looks like the files which are accessible on my TV via DLNA are sorted according to the creation date (newest files/folders at the end of the list). This makes the usage of the files more than uncomfortable because you don't know where the folders will be visible (at the beginning? or maybe somewhere in the middle? no, the directory is almost at the end): when you have ~3TB of data you probably expect A-Z ordering; such gambling is far far from ok.
    I have seen the same problem with my pendrive connected to the car audio system, but I have found the solution by using very small program (drivesort) that changes the directory tables for the opened drives, but afaik that was the issue with the FAT16/FAT32 formatted discs and I can't even imagine the same situation here with Asustor...
    Any idea here?
Both problems are connected: when I need to change the name of the folder because of the subtitles the folder is placed somewhere else than I expect (not alphabetically) and so on.

I hope that I have missed something during the configuration, I'm counting on you guys :)

regards,
Chris
orion

Re: Ordering and subtitles issues on Samsung TV

Post by orion »

It sounds related to the player on Samsung TV. I think you should send a support request to asustor. They should be able to help you out.
krzysmir

Post by krzysmir »

Thank you Orion for the advice, I will do that immediately.
It is interesting that I haven't found any part of information about such problems in whole Internet and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who has Samsung C650 series and Asustor as DLNA server. Maybe someone has the same problems and found any workaround? I will be more than happy to hear about that!

I will come back here to write down the solution if something can be done to override the problems.

br.
Chris
orion

Post by orion »

krzysmir wrote:Thank you Orion for the advice, I will do that immediately.
It is interesting that I haven't found any part of information about such problems in whole Internet and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who has Samsung C650 series and Asustor as DLNA server. Maybe someone has the same problems and found any workaround? I will be more than happy to hear about that!

I will come back here to write down the solution if something can be done to override the problems.

br.
Chris
Interesting. After I tried UPnP Media Server V2 with my external media player, I can find the exact problems.
Regarding to srt issue, I thought it might be a cache effect on my media player. But, after I do re-scan in Media Server, I can find subtitle. It should imply it's a bug of Media Server.
Ordering could be an issue too.
I'm sending a support request to asustor to ask for helps. I'll suggest you do the same. ;)
knickolai

Post by knickolai »

I had the same issue with the creation date ordering of the files and folders as displayed on my DLNA players. Everything seemed to be in the order the media files were added to the NAS. With a large collection of media files, finding one on my DLNA players became a very tedious game of manually searching date ordered lists.

I have an Asustor AS-606T NAS running UPnP Media Server V2 and am using SONY Blu Ray players (model BDPS5100) in different rooms as the DLNA players. The SONY's play most of the media formats on my NAS without problem. My only issue was the display sort order of the media files.

SELF HELP

First, I determined these SONY Blu Ray players have no setting or options to re-order the media file list as received from the DLNA compliant media server. Second, I was unable to find any relevant settings in the UPnP Media Server V2 GUI that would change the order of what was being sent to the SONY Blu Ray players.

ASUSTOR SUPPORT

I submitted a support ticket to Asustor and received a very prompt reply. It IS possible to change the order of the files sent from UPnP Media Server V2, but requires manually editing the WMS.conf file on the NAS. The exact instructions I received (and that worked for me) were:

Yes, there is way to change the sorting method, but you need to familiar with Linux operating system.
Here are the steps:

1. Login to the unit by using root account with admin password via SSH

2. Go /usr/local/AppCentral/upnp-server-v2/ums and edit UMS.conf

3. Find a line "File sorting" and change the value of "key_sort_method"

# ---< File sorting >---------------------------------------------------------

# File ordering
# -------------
# GUI Option: File ordering (selector)
# Determines the order of listed content when a client browses a folder; the
# GUI selector generates a numeric indicator according to the following.
# 0 - Alphabetical A-Z
# 1 - By date (newest first)
# 2 - By reverse date (oldest first)
# 3 - ASCIIbetical (i.e. using ASCII code values)
# 4 - Alphanumeric (AKA natural sort e.g. "Season 2" before "Season 10")
# Default: 4
key_sort_method = 0

After making the above change, and setting the key_sort_method = 0, the media files are now perfectly displayed in alphabetical order on the SONY Blu Ray players, instead of by file creation date.

Asustor support was outstanding in addressing my question.

Karl

Return to “UPnP Media Server 2”