What are the differences from existing UPnP Media Server?

The UPnP Media Server V2 App can turn your NAS into your home's multimedia streaming server.
As long as you have devices that support UPnP or DLNA (for example, SONY BRAVIA TV, SAMSUNG TV or PlayStation 3),
you can directly browse and stream the media files stored on your NAS.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

wde
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

What are the differences from existing UPnP Media Server?

Post by wde »

Why would I upgrade from the older UPnP Media Server? Seems to work OK on my Sony Bravia TV although I prefer to use the Boxee app and AiRemote.

What does this version do that the older UPnP Media Server doesn't?
My NAS: Flashtor 6 FS6706T ADM: 4.2.7.RRD1 Router: Technicolor CGM4331COM (XB7)
James.S@AST

Re: What are the differences from existing UPnP Media Server

Post by James.S@AST »

Well, the UPnP V2 support UPnP/DLNA client device control, you can control which client can connect media server.
Also it is compatible with Xbox 360, which V1 doesn't.
The last is it supports subtitle when playing mkv files.

Our idea is to provide multiple solutions which can give users these freedoms and benefits.

Cheers,
JAMES
I dream of painting and then I paint my dream.

Storage: AS-604T
Network: Belkin N1 Wireless/F5D8231
Laptop: ASUS Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
Media Player: HP NC6000& Wii & ASUSTOR NAS with Boxee App
Portable: HTC EVO 3D& The New iPad
fazzx

Re: What are the differences from existing UPnP Media Server?

Post by fazzx »

Ive tried both versions on my 202TE Nas,

V1 seems to work really well for me, really quick and plays my videos with no problems.

V2 seems very buggy take a while to load my folders and does not play the same videos formats, my tv says unsupported?

I like the idea of controlling devices, so please Asustor, could you look into this...
Auberon2k

Post by Auberon2k »

I found that V2, while based on PS3 Media Server has some issues with client identification. There was an old build of it that worked absolutely fabulous then it was updated and broke horribly, I haven't been able to get an old version back again. The update made my PS3 report a bunch of previously working video files as unsupported. I never managed to get a single MKV to play back on my PS3's *ever* as enabling the transcoding broke playback/compatibility of every non-MKV video file. Tweaking the config files I changed the default client ID from DEFAULT to PS3 and it seems to play back 95% of the files I have or download without issues.

V1 had some weird issues parsing MP3 folders. Any albums I downloaded/added after my initial load from previous storage would cycle endlessly like it was trying to index the album. A ten track album would repeat the file list endlessly and none of them would play back.

There is also MiniDLNA now, it's not bad, lacks any configuration but it plays back some files that V2 reports as unsupported. I figure now if both V2 and Mini report unsupported media type I just have a bad copy of whatever.

TLDR: No one DLNA server does it all on the Asustor NAS, V1 hates some MP3s, V2 has Client ID issues that you can improve but not fix completely, MiniDLNA lacks configuration altogether....
damien599901

Post by damien599901 »

please find the differences here
Storage: AS7004T & AS5002T
Network: FREEBOX REVOLUTION V6
Laptop: Apple MACBOOK Pro OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Media Player: ASUSTOR NAS with Kodi 16 Beta & HD_Engine 1 (thanks Fathe_Mande)
Portable: iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air
Blast

Post by Blast »

damien599901 wrote:please find the differences here
Great link you provided.. Really good..

Dear ASUSTOR,

Why the jumbled mess with the UPnP version 1 and Version 2?

Some can do this, some can't..

What a MESS!!

Also the Version 1 player won't work with the Version 2 is playing..

What a Mess!
Taxman

Post by Taxman »

Use miniDLNA instead, it's much better, you will find it in beta section of app portal.

I don't know why Asus has such crazy messy media servers, it makes little sense and is confusing to users.

Adopt miniDLNA as standard media server and drop the Asus UPnP ones. Or Asus reach out to Serviio or TVMobili media server developers and get them to make theirs available in Asustor app portal, I have tried asking both but as they dont have hardware they wont support it. Asus could send them cheapest low end Asustor NAS, Serviio is partly responsible for Synology's popularity.

Someone will probably say but Asustor has Plex and Emby, sure those are good but they are not file based media servers, they are media library based categorizing everything, some don't want that and just want to browse basic folders, for that miniDLNA, Serviio and TVmobili are the best options.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Taxman wrote:Use miniDLNA instead, it's much better, you will find it in beta section of app portal.

I don't know why Asus has such crazy messy media servers, it makes little sense and is confusing to users.

Someone will probably say but Asustor has Plex and Emby, sure those are good but they are not file based media servers, they are media library based categorizing everything, some don't want that and just want to browse basic folders, for that miniDLNA, Serviio and TVmobili are the best options.
You may not like Plex's library methods, but, I like the versatility of the many clients. And the fact I can be 1800+ miles from the server and still get to MY media. Any of the DNLA solutions can't compare to this, IMO.

Serviio and TVMobili are seriously flawed when trying to use remotely.

But, as with everything in Life, we each have our own expectations, desires and needs. Plex streams all of my library to any and all of the Plex clients flawlessly. When I have 1500+ movies and 12K TV episodes, and sharing out to 25+ users I don't want the support questions that crop up with the other server platforms. Plex meets most of my expectations, needs and desires, and getting better every day. Anything DNLA hasn't even come close. (I have the DNLA server turned OFF in Plex, in case you were interested.)

If you HAVEN'T tried Plex, you are doing yourself a serious mis-service. Once it's set up and running, it does just that. Run. Plex itself tracks watched status across all of the users you have. PlexPy (A python add-on) tracks times, user history, media types, transcoding or direct playing information, etc. The only major issues I've had with Plex in the 15+ months of running it are Asustor induced, and nothing on Plex's end. (Changing the base python install, or perl install as examples of Asustor induced issues.)
darrinmc

Post by darrinmc »

One key difference that I've come across is that V2 will not allow your hard drive to go into hibernate mode, nor sleep mode if no activity after a set time.

V1 does let the hard drive hiberate, so does Plex if you set it to update daily instead of hourly.

I haven't tried MiniDLNA yet. I can run ASustor portal and Kodi and download station and it will hibernate the drive if no activity.

Darrin.

Return to “UPnP Media Server 2”