Many problem with Boxee...

A lot of your favorite shows and movies are already available on the Internet and your NAS. Boxee is a device that finds them and puts them on your TV. It's easy to use and even better, there's no monthly fee.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Slime
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Many problem with Boxee...

Post by Slime »

Hi all, this App is a disaster. It often freezes and reboots. This happens often when I go back in the menu with the right mouse button. It also happens when I do it with Airemote on the iPhone. I can not download additional applications and in general is very slow.
You can not even change the city for regional settings. If I put Rome (I'm in Italy) starts an endless search, and the city is not found. A list from which to select the city would be better.
It is very immature. My version is 0.9.28.0233

AS-602T
ADM: 1.0.8.R2K3
maxani

Re: Many problem with Boxee...

Post by maxani »

Hi.

I wouldn't say it is a disaster but I agree it is not perfect.
I sometimes have reboots too. the UI is not very user friendly and is slow (on iOS too)
Folder scanning is buggy. Several times I've had to delete a folder from the library and to add it again to be able to update the list of movies... Huge waste of time.

Movies and TV Shows database is only for english speaking people (IMDB US)

Besides Boxee is a closed project and is no longer maintained. Actually it would be better to have a XBMC application which is part of an active and open project. http://xbmc.org/
Plus there is a free and nice Android/iOS application (iOS example : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/unoffic ... d520480364)
Asustor team wouldn't have to waste time to develop their own application.

So I don't know. What will Asustor team do to improve the Media Player feature of our nice and beautiful Asustor NAS :-)?
Slime

Post by Slime »

Hi maxani,

are you sure that Boxee is a closed project? There are many device that use this sw such as TV, multimedia box, etc...
http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=64648
I find it strange that Asustor choose a dead platform. I find it makes more sense that there is much to work on.

YouTube and many other applications are not available ... :roll:
Last edited by Slime on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxani

Post by maxani »

Indeed Boxee seem to be still alive but thanks to forks of the project.

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe that the initial project is now focused on Boxee TV.

Even if Boxee is not really closed I think XBMC is more "open" :-) and would be better.
This is just my point of view.

Now Boxee is not a problem but it has to be fixed and improved on several issues.
ironically I would say that all complaints I have against Boxee are or seem to be solved in XBMC and it is available right now for Linux so for our NAS.
audiophile

Post by audiophile »

Yes, I second your findings about Boxee and XBMC! I tested both of them on OSX and Linux for several weeks and it goes without saying that XBMC ist the far superior application! XBMC just released the 12 version "Frodo" which is very fast and works like a charm! It even contains a video recorder application which is a dream to use.

Regards,
--audiophile
wde

Post by wde »

Boxee has frozen on me several times. AiRemote becomes inoperable and the NAS is no longer recognized on my LAN. I have to power down and unplug the NAS to get the LAN to recognize it again. When I get it back up and running it'll play the same video file perfectly, that it crapped out on earlier, so I don't think it's a file problem.

When Boxee works, it works great. When it doesn't, it works like ....

Looking forward to compare it with XMBC when/if it is released for 6 series.

Anyone have better luck using a mouse rather than the AiRemote?
My NAS: Flashtor 6 FS6706T ADM: 4.2.7.RRD1 Router: Technicolor CGM4331COM (XB7)
mfogh

Post by mfogh »

Hi wde,

I bought this one http://www.rikomagic.com/en/product/sho ... id_17.html

And it's working great, I've mouse, keyboard and the IR control of my tv in one controller.

No need for setting it up, just plug it in the Asustor nas at it works like a charm with boxee.

Best regards

Michael
wde

Post by wde »

mfogh wrote:Hi wde,

And it's working great, I've mouse, keyboard and the IR control of my tv in one controller.

No need for setting it up, just plug it in the Asustor nas at it works like a charm with boxee.

Best regards

Michael
Thanks Michael! I'll consider your suggestion. $45.00 + $20 for shipping and duties to Canada is a bit pricey. Maybe there is a similar item I can source locally. At least now I know what to look for.

Cheers,
wde
wde

Post by wde »

wde wrote:
mfogh wrote:Hi wde,

Best regards

Michael
Thanks Michael! I'll consider your suggestion. $45.00 + $20 for shipping and duties to Canada is a bit pricey. Maybe there is a similar item I can source locally. At least now I know what to look for.

Cheers,
wde
I found a local source and got, what looks to be, the exact controller that you have.

There is a bit of a learning curve in handling the air mouse, especially with my shaky hands. I guess it was too much to expect the function keys to control the video control functions like pause, FF, etc., unless you've found out a way to do this.

I haven't yet set it up as a universal remote for my other devices.

After removing my 2GB expanded memory and using the air mouse I've had no problems in playing any of my MKV videos using Boxee.

Thanks again, Michael

wde

Return to “Boxee”