Logitech Media Server

Logitech Media Server (formerly SlimServer, SqueezeCenter and Squeezebox Server) is a streaming audio server supported by Logitech (formerly Slim Devices), developed in particular to support their Squeezebox range of digital audio receivers.The software is designed for streaming music over a network, allowing users to play their music collections from virtually anywhere there is an Internet connection.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Arniceous
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Logitech Media Server

Post by Arniceous »

im sorry the the late response as I have been out in the field on a lot of calls. I have chosen to use Logitech media server from my PC as the alternative as I exclaimed the app just sits on my server doing nothing.

Yes those bugs are accurate and I requested to remove the app simply because it doesn't work! and maybe ADM can use an alternative or fix the darn thing no offence but it doesn't work at all dude
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

As has been explained already, though... The issues with the app itself are issues with the OS and the interpreter and not with the app itself, which obviously you are running on your PC.

If or when Asustor ever fixes both Perl and Python I'm sure the app itself will likely work again. Until such time, it's there and it's probably easier to keep there than it is to submit a withdrawl, then resubmit for App Central. I don't know if he can even request pulling it down, since he wasn't the primary developer. So this not working is really Asustor's issues and not ClintonHall's....

Clinton inherited the app when he took over some other apps another user was developing. I know it's not his favorite, and likely he doesn't do much with it... Really, with the other options that exist, I'm shocked anyone uses it on either PC or NAS. There are a few options that literally blow LMS out of the water....
Arniceous

Post by Arniceous »

thanks for the fallow up Mike, I really appreciate it. I had no idea the problem stemmed from the ADM platform and compatibility issues those definitely need to be addressed by Assustor and the way things are going it doesn't look like the Logitech Media Server has a high priority; that's the story of my life.

Why I use that app is because I love Classical music, World music, volksmusik etc... and the online stations of our wifi radios do pull in quite a bit but I have such a vast collection which makes it easier to play from my own library. I was happy to see the app a few yrs ago when I bought the Asustor I'll be contacting them about this issue.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

You certainly can contact them, but I'll tell you what you are likely to hear: "Contact the developer or maintainer." which puts it right back into Clinton's lap even though there's nothing he can do with it....

I had the same issue trying to get PlexWatch and PlexWatchWeb running. Perl from App Central was hosed. And I was able to get a working version on my 202T, but when I tried to get it working on the 7004T, there were 64-bit dependencies that weren't in the OS and Asustor wasn't going to add them in. At one point I was told to contact the developer of the app, as it wasn't an Asustor problem, where I prompt told them it was running on over 300,000 other machines, so I didn't think it was an app problem but an OS problem. They spent about 2 hours one evening TeamViewered into my PC trying to figure out what the problem was, and finally one of the guys made up a new install of Perl for my installation. And this NEW version still didn't work 100%. And they had the code from the app to test it with and still couldn't make it work.

End result was, I lost the job I had, Asustor lost a massive sale, and 6 weeks later the app still wasn't working. I got lucky for my personal use, as one of the other Plex users modified PlexWatch to work on Python and calls it PlexPy. It works flawlessly an any machine running Python 2.7, which the App Central version happens to be.

PlexPy has a lot of new stuff that PlexWatch never thought of. It runs so very well, in fact that when I install Plex Media Server on any device, period, I always install PlexPy and make sure it's bookmarked too. It tells the admin who is watching what, when they did it, if they have had buffering problems, what the IP they watched it from, and if they watched the whole thing or skipped to something else. It tacks metrics by item, day, library, if it's transcoded or Direct Played, etc. It can send SSMS, PushBullet, Pushalot, email or other notifications all from within the PlexPy interface. You know exactly who is using your media and what kind of drain they have on your hardware resources.

Looking at it now, if it weren't for Perl being broken, I never would have looked at PlexPy. And I wouldn't be as happy as I am now with the whole Plex installation I have running. Although I would still be employed, which isn't a great thing... :/
Arniceous

Post by Arniceous »

well you sure have your own direction with your media as we all do. I did look into perl devine back in 2003 never really was able to do much with it and I heard python was more robust but I'm not a coder just a skilled field technician in the world of hardware. I really hope someone looks at the ADM with Logitech media server cause with my squeeze box and UE radio from Logitech there is nothing els to point to my personally library on our 604T. so I still commit a PC to serve my media for the wifi radios. :(
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Well, there is, but you won't look at it... I'm guessing you are using DLNA for a protocol to transmit and stream your media on your devices? Based on other posts you've made, this is kind of what I'm thinking you use, anyway....

If nothing else you can still use LMS on your PC, pointing to the media on the NAS. That's how a lot of people run PMS on lower powered NASes, now. Use a machine with the power to transcode or manipulate the media, but store it on the NAS to keep the PC's drives cleaner...

Your NAS should be fast enough to handle that for network transfers anyway...
toxiccat

Post by toxiccat »

This is my most used apk and I'd be lost if it was pulled. When it works it works well. I have had a few issues with a rescan not finding any artists but re-installing the apk seems to sort it. I am out and about with my job a lot and would lost with out access to my music. This apk was the main reason I bought the asustor nas after the audiogalaxy app was removed from Google play when the developers went to work for Dropbox. I am very grateful for all the effort done to make this available whether it is still in beta or not.
Many thanks to Clinton
AS-602T-EDC2
2 X 3tb western digital Red in Raid 0
3gb ram
Logitech media server
xbmc
UpNP Media server
Dropbox
Arniceous

Post by Arniceous »

toxicat how does the app work on your NAS? it does not function for me at all the update link points to Logitech directly and the support NAS is not ADM. Also the settings link times out and the power button disappears when clicked and the available players listed never show my NAS only my PC.
That is why I am using my PC to power the library.

additional* Audio Galaxy was awesome I used to use it quite a bit in 1999 & 2000 before rhapsody took them over approximately in 2002. Do you remember that?
toxiccat

Post by toxiccat »

Hi Arniceous
It works fine on my nas. I have had to remove it and reinstall a couple of times because when doing a rescan it did not register any artists. I did try updating it to the latest version using Clinton ' s instructions but could not get it to work. I use squeeze player and orange squeeze or squeeze control on various android devices and they work amazingly well. Also had to open port 3483 to get it working. Occasionally I have an issue with it not showing the players but disabling and restarting the app sorts it.
Hope you get it working.
AS-602T-EDC2
2 X 3tb western digital Red in Raid 0
3gb ram
Logitech media server
xbmc
UpNP Media server
Dropbox

Return to “Logitech Media Server (Beta)”