Howdy

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Claus
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Howdy

Post by Claus »

Hi.

My Name is Claus and I am German. I registered today since I have a question about Kodi. There is also existing a German Asustor forum, but this is virtually dead so I think here the concentration of knowledge is much higher.

I have a AS5002T with 2 WD Red of 3TB each, working in Raid 1. I use the NAS at home to access my data from several computers and to use Kodi.

Best Regards to you all
Claus
MikeG.6.5

Re: Howdy

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Kodi has had a cease and desist order placed against the entire project for a number of things. As a result Asustor is no longer supporting Kodi on the platform at all. Asustor's announcement of this discontinued support can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9544 This affects more than just Asustor, I might add. It's across the board for all NAS manufacturers, and all platforms that were capable of running Kodi at all. This is a big blow to those who want to stream their own legally owned media!

Basically it means the only viable streaming methods left for any NAS or streaming at all is now Plex Media Server. You are in luck with the model you have, since I believe it is capable of HW transcoding (might need a Plex Pass for it, though.) Read some of the links in my signature for some tips and tricks to optimize your media and device for the best Plex Experience you can get.
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

@MikeG.6.5: what’s your source for Kodi receiving a cease and desist? AFAICT it is ASUSTOR that has received a cease and desist for “officially” supporting certain media codecs on their platform.
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
Storage: AS-604T with 3GB RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G)
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

Based on those sources, I think it's very misleading to say that the Kodi project has received a cease-and-desist. Those addons are not related to the Kodi project in any way, they are independent addons that happen to run on Kodi.
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
Storage: AS-604T with 3GB RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G)
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

You are right...

Instead I should have said something more along the lines of "Since Kodi is no longer carried in the Asustor App Central, perhaps you should be looking at other solutions."

Return to “Meet and Greet”