Asustor's support new (poor) behaviour

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

orion
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Asustor's support new (poor) behaviour

Post by orion »

Free2be wrote: For me, telephone support is not an option that I want immediately, but that the technical staff offers the possibility to log in to the NAS and thus help solve the problems. I understand there will always be software problems, but if there is a support that you can rely on that takes your business seriously, it would give you a lot more confidence.
OK, I'm actually on the same view point as yours. So far, based on my experiences (send many tickets), Asustor does the business seriously. Some of the responses might not be perfect. But they do trying to solve problems.
Free2be wrote: I have a technical question about the previous model, where the middle discs develop too high a heat, is this problem solved with the new version?
What do you mean "where the middle discs develop too high a heat"? Can you describe more details? I have no ideas based on my limited memory.
Free2be

Post by Free2be »

I read that in the previous 8 bay model there were problems with the middle disk units, the 3rd and 8th disks got too hot and were not cooled sufficiently. hence my question if someone knows if this would be solved with the new 8bay Lockerstor 8 AS6508T.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
orion

Post by orion »

I've never heard about this news. Where did you read this info? Anyway, maybe, someone here might be able to respond to your question.

By the way, as far as I know, Asustor software adjusts FAN speed according to the temperature on disks and CPU. There are certain options: auto, low, middle, high. I always set to "auto". And someone in this forum provides another fine tuning software that can change the behavior.
Free2be

Post by Free2be »

dear orion,
I had read it on this forum, the fan would always run at full power and the temperature of both HDs was still too high. I will ask the Asustor technical team the question.

Free2be

Post by Free2be »

Hello orion,
Sorry, I have Reading the coming prob on Amazon.

June 5, 2017
Verified Purchase
Size: 10-Bay
It seems to be fast enough for me even with RAID 6. (backing up from USB3 external drive at the speed between 80-110 megabytes/sec, internally can reach to 180 MBytes/sec or so). I have 10 (ten) 10TB drives installed. Those drives were on the Asustor Approved drive list. My only problem is especially the middle ones (bay 3 and bay 8) heats up to 53-54 Celsius degree [maximum recommended by the hard drive manufacturer is 60]. When I talked to our companies Data Center team , they said if they see 45 degree in RAID NAS they turn the system down. Even at this temperatures the hard drive leds stays lit up (even tough they are turned off at the NAS software as an option], which may indicate an electrical problem due to heat. When I try to cool the system by forcing the fan high, then the leds turn off and temp decrease slightly. Only option to decrease the heat is to remove completely middle hard drive bays and trays( 3 and 8) so the air can escape. The problem may also be due to the Auto Fan runs at around 500 rpm which is not enough to cool the system down. It would be nice to have an option to manually select the minimum fan speed (such as 700 or 810 or 905 etc...) and still choose auto ; or hard drive temperature to fan speed maping option would work too.
I dont know how it will truly affect the long term longevity of the drives. Please note that the my ambient temperature is about 70 Fahrenheit.

orion

Post by orion »

Well, I think that's a designed behavior, rather than a bug / failure. In my case, I use my NAS in home environment. I would like to set NAS as quiet as possible. The "auto" setting is the best option for me (my disk temperature is not high. As I remembered, the highest temperature is about 50 if I access NAS extensively.) I'm all right if the temperature is within the spec range.
However I can understand the concerns for data center usage. They don't care about noise. In this case, I think they can set the setting to "high". That should be suitable. On the other hand, I'm not sure about "When I try to cool the system by forcing the fan high, then the leds turn off and temp decrease slightly". "leds turn off" seems certain abnormal failure.
And the tool here: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=8948&start=10 might be suitable for the behavior that he wanted.
Free2be

Post by Free2be »

Thank you, Orion for the hint.
I wil observe this when I buy the 8 bay and install all the HD’s.

Return to “Meet and Greet”