new user, ASUSTOR AS1002T

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

james0w
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

new user, ASUSTOR AS1002T

Post by james0w »

Hello forum users from Wisconsin, USA! I recently purchased an ASUSTOR AS1002T to replace a failed attempt to use a WD MyCloud. Not only did I have issues using the MyCloud NAS, but I also found out it has a gigantic security hole (the Public folder access is wide open and cannot be deleted/changed, even by root). The interface was clunky as well.

Fortunately, I discovered that the MyCloud had a 2TB WD red drive, so I ripped it apart to keep the drive and paired it with another in my ASUSTOR NAS, set to RAID 1. The interface is much better, and I was able to remove the Public folder on this device. I'm very happy I found and purchased it.
MikeG.6.5

Re: new user, ASUSTOR AS1002T

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I only have one word of warning for you about the WD drive you took out of the enclosure. Those drives are generally lower end units, and as such they don't always have the same Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) as many other drives. Prepare accordingly. (Buy another drive to use as a ready spare, just in case.)

That said, Welcome to the Asustor world. The 1002T is a lower powered unit, but it does work well as a NAS. Don't expect it to do a lot of heavy lifting when it comes to media conversions, though. It really doesn't have the CPU for that. If you want to run the machine as a Media Server, you are likely to need another machine to do the transcoding, but that NAS can handle sending files to the main CPU for streaming.

And yeah, I'm another US member, located in Western Washington for now.

Return to “Meet and Greet”