New AS6208T user

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

RainCaster
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

New AS6208T user

Post by RainCaster »

I've been doing IT related stuff for decades, Unix, Windows, Linux... I am a geek with a background in programming and storage going back to the late 70s. I've written device drivers for Unix, Linux, and Windows. Through the years I've worked for many HDD and SSD vendors as well as the major system houses and software firms. It seems that I've been in and out of the storage industry since time began, and I keep going back to it- storage is a passion of mine.

What brought me here is that my current home backup server (WD DX4000) has been eating HDDs for too many years, and I've finally had it with the expense and hassle. I bought it back when I worked for WDC, and I got it for cheap. It seems that machine is always in a state of rebuilding its array, along with chewing up my bank account. Yes- I'm a geek and that is why I use a domain at home to manage all the machines my family has. I travel a lot for work, and this makes it easier for me to deal with when I get a text saying "Daddy help!", and I'm stuck in a hotel across the globe.

So anyhow, I have (hopefully) moved up in the world of NAS widgets by going to this ASUS device. I have stuffed it full of 5GB drives and have several arrays present. One is an iSCSI array that does backup for my SBS server. (combination of Exchange, domain & web services) The other will be used for "everything else" which includes file services, backup and DLNA. I'm still trying to get the client SW for backup to work right, but I will figure that out eventually. Anyone with experience here, I'd appreciate your help.

My name? I play guitar and my two favorites are my Rainsong acoustic and Telecaster. :)
spikey1973

Re: New AS6208T user

Post by spikey1973 »

welkom by another newbee :D

Kind greatings Matt
orion

Re: New AS6208T user

Post by orion »

Wow! Welcome. We should actually learn things from you.

Return to “Meet and Greet”