New Arrival, Old Dude

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

DevillEars
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

New Arrival, Old Dude

Post by DevillEars »

Hi Folks,

I live in Johannesburg, South Africa and have had an AS302T for 3-4 of the 70 years I've been on this planet of ours.
Overall, I really like this little NAS - the ADM is excellent and the in-house apps in App Store are worthwhile.

The most-used of these apps is DownLoad Manager and - most of the time - it works like dream.
Every now and then, however, some change in remote site URLs causes it to fail when trying to download.

It appears that Download Manager, as an app, has two major component sub-apps: one, search; and two, retrieve (or download).

Currently, the first component sub-app still works fine - using a multi keyword search target string to retrieve all folders that match the target string and displaying the search results in a form which, in the lower part of the form, lists all matching downloadable folders.

When, however, I select one or more downloadable folders from these search results and select 'download', the form returned is blank (it normally comes back with a list downloadable files available in the source folder.

From what I've been able to work out, is that when one selects a downloadable folder from the search results list and selects 'download', the retrieve component uses information from the selected downloadable folder and uses some of this to retrieve the remote download site's retrieve request string, which would need to include site web address for routing. The table of supported download sites is held within Download Manager and is updated during new release updates. Once the complete retrieval string has been assembled, it is sent off to initiate the download process.

It seems to me that the problems I'm experiencing are not hardware problems nor are they software bugs as such - but most likely due to some retrieval string changes made by the remote download site in their handling of download requests - which would produce the blank return list I'm seeing. The assumption, if correct, implies that I will have to wait until Asustor: one, recognise that there is a problem; two, identify the cause; three, fix either the table of remote site interfacing rules or any other contributing areas; four; distribute an updated version of DownLoad Manager.

In searching the Asustor website, I could find no simple email contact facility that would allow me to address this problem to a tech team, so have posted it here on the Community Forum instead.

So, if anyone from the Asustor support team happen to read this, it would be greatly appreciated if they would provide some feedback on:

a) The above amateur diagnosis
b) Any plans to release a fix

DevillEars
orion

Re: New Arrival, Old Dude

Post by orion »

I think you should send a support request to asustor through: https://support.asustor.com/. Their responses are quite fast.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I second Orion's comments. It has been a few months since Asustor has had any employees do more than administrative things on the forums. They seldom logged in to comment even when they had someone actively doing so.

Make a ticket and prepare to sit up late one night while they log into your PC with Team Viewer to see what's going on. Don't expect to have anyone talking with you with a microphone. They will text with either notepad or the built in texting in TV.
DevillEars

Post by DevillEars »

Problem seems to have been resolved without Asustor involvement, so must have been at the download site (which subsequent checking appears to have been the result of a massive DDoS attack).

Thanks to those who took the time and trouble to respond.
Best Wishes for the New Year and the whole of 2017.

Return to “Meet and Greet”