New AS6204T from Florida

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

kevmeist
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: New AS6204T from Florida

Post by kevmeist »

Agreed, Mike.

I started doing a backup job of my Win7 PC this evening at 20:36. As 23:33, it's at 27%.

How can any backup be this slow. Certainly, my 7 year old HP EX495 running Windows Home Server was NOT this slow.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Couple of thoughts....

Is your PC connected wirelessly? If so, check to see if the wireless channels are also channels used by your neighbors. This can cause interference. Also, check on the PC what other apps you have running? Sometimes anti-virii apps can slow things down. Even some other apps like malware, etc. could cause problems.

Next, look at the NAses System Monitor and see what it's CPU and memory usage is during the back up. If you haven't installed it yet, try installing NetData. I think you can get it from App Central. It provides some really good in-depth details of what apps are using how much of the system. Check this forum topic for a list of entries to include for Plex specific and download specific apps for NetData to monitor: http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=7785 (Yes, that's my post, too. I have a lot of them on here!) :)

You can add other applications to NetData's monitoring list pretty easily, if you run WinSCP on a PC. (If you DON'T have WinSCP, get it! Not going to beat the horse to death, but there are some things you just can't do, some files/folders you can't get to without it. Get PuTTY at the same time, as you are going to need it too.) You just start a PuTTY or Terminal window to the NAS, and type "ps -e" and look for the app. Add it in like the entries you see in the forum posts above. WinSCP has a learning curve, and you are going to need to open up ssh on the NAS in Services -> Terminal in the ADM. If you don't want to use the default 22 port, change that on that page as well.

The 620X model is a somewhat under-powered PC. (Think of it like a 386 class machine in the days of the Pentium 2's) It's a tad better than the cell phone CPU'd models, but doesn't have the horsepower the i3 models have. (I know, not an excuse or a reason, just an observation.) Basically anything without at least a Celeron in it I would call a cell phone CPU repurposed...

Another thought, too. The 620x supports Link Aggregation, but only if the router/switch it is connected to is set up for it. Connecting both NICs to your router/switch is going to create problems unless the router supports it, and has been set up to use it on the designated ports. Most home routers CANNOT do this out of the box! Disconnect one, or get a switch/router that DOES support it. I have a pair of Asus RT-AC66U routers and an HP switch that support it. I link aggregate one of the routers to the HP switch, on 2 ports, then 2 ports on the switch to the NAS, then one port back to the last router, to give me a full 2Gb backbone to the NAS from my main AP/Modem. This took me almost 2 full days to get running, as I had some issues with the routers... And I had to install the Merlin AsusWRT to get the functionality as well as a few other tidbits.

HTH
kevmeist

Post by kevmeist »

Agreed Mike. One would think that a company like ASUS would have some representation in the USA.

Return to “Meet and Greet”