New user from Amsterdam

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.
dsmschief
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

New user from Amsterdam

Post by dsmschief »

Hi,

I bought an AS6204T with 8Gb last week. Before buying it I owned a Synology.

I must confess that I'm quite disappointed about the AS6204T. Or rather the ADM and apps.
The hardware is fine. Fast enough. But the apps are a whole different story:

1. Hidrive app can't connect to Hidrive using rsync or SFTP. Contacted Asustor support and they told me it is a known problem. Well.....that wasn't made clear before I bought it....
2. Using the ADM back-up app for a secure back-up to Hidrive cloud doesn't work either. All I can do is use a terminal session on my Mac to SSH to the NAS and then start a rsync with SSH manually from the NAS to HiDrive. But then I have to leave my Mac running (during a 300gb back-up).
3. ShellinaBox app doesn't work either. It always generates forkpty errors. Tried it at a friends Asustor, same result.

Now I could blame Hidrive, but on my Synology it does work. So I guess the problem is with the Asustor. And I really need to be able to back-up to Hidrive.

I'm considering selling the Asustor and buying a Synology instead. It's unfortunate but I see no other way.
crazynas

Re: New user from Amsterdam

Post by crazynas »

Hi
I can use shell in a box on my AS5104T.
Why did you need hidrive using rsync or SFTP? As we know rsync performance is no good. slow performance.... :?:
dsmschief

Post by dsmschief »

Hi,

FTP is indeed better performing. However, for better security and less compatibility issues SFTP would be the preferred option. And rsync(+SSH) delivers very good security and the option to only back-up changed files (incremental back-ups).

The good news is that Asustor support informed me that they will release an update of HiDrive app before the end of April. For me, that will be the decisive moment. If it works, I might keep the Asustor. If not, I'll be needing to switch to Synology.
One last thing is how to get Shellinabox working.....
orion

Post by orion »

dsmschief wrote: One last thing is how to get Shellinabox working.....
Shellinabox on my AS304T is working fine. Did you login as root (password is the same as admin)? I can only login as root or admin. Other accounts seem blocked.
Vincent.T@AST

Post by Vincent.T@AST »

Hi dsmschief,

It seems HiDrive had changed their communication code and resulted in the connection failure of our app. We have asked our engineer to look into it and provide the fix in short time.

As to the shell-in-a-box issue, we had tried to install it on AS6204T with ADM 2.5.4.RF42 / ADM 2.6.0.B313 and we do not observe any error as you mentioned. Would you please let me know which ADM you are using, and capture the error screen for our reference? Thank you.
dsmschief

Post by dsmschief »

Hi Vincent,

Good to hear you guys are working on the HiDrive app.

As for the shellinabox issue, I'm using ADM 2.5.4.RF42 (and so is my friend who owns a Asustor and experiences the same issue). I've made a screenshot and attached it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 10.54.02.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 10.54.02.png (135.91 KiB) Viewed 11555 times
Vincent.T@AST

Post by Vincent.T@AST »

Hi dsmschief,

The shell-in-a-box issue is related to the X.org 10.14.7.R14. We would suggest you upgrade ADM to 2.6 beta (http://www.asustor.com/betaProgram), then upgrade X.org to 10.14.7.R19 (it will be shown in Beta Apps section after ADM 2.6 is upgraded). The current shell-in-a-box can work correctly with X.org 10.14.7.R19, please have a try. Thank you.
dsmschief

Post by dsmschief »

Vincent,

The beta ADM (and updating X.org) did the trick for Shellinabox.
Let's hope that the soon to be released HiDrive app also work on the beta ADM...
dsmschief

Post by dsmschief »

After a lot of trial and error together with the nice people from Asustor I've decided to switch back to Synology. It looks like the Asustor / HiDrive combination just isn't a match made in heaven. And I really need my NAS to be able to back-up to HiDrive.
Too bad, because otherwise I really liked the Asustor 6204T.
orion

Post by orion »

dsmschief wrote:After a lot of trial and error together with the nice people from Asustor I've decided to switch back to Synology. It looks like the Asustor / HiDrive combination just isn't a match made in heaven. And I really need my NAS to be able to back-up to HiDrive.
Too bad, because otherwise I really liked the Asustor 6204T.
I'm curious about the HiDrive problem that you mentioned. Can you share the details?

Return to “Meet and Greet”