Old newbie from .se

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Rainz
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Old newbie from .se

Post by Rainz »

Greetings, I bought my 606T a couple of years ago and frankly never looked up this community, but now I am here. It has been upgraded to 3GB RAM and has been running like a charm since I installed it. All F/W updates have gone through with no glitches, but I have yet to use any of the "bundled" apps.
Shawn.S@AST

Re: Old newbie from .se

Post by Shawn.S@AST »

Hi Rainz, you are most welcome!!!
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Welcome Rainz!

If you aren't using any of the bundled apps, what do you use your NAS for? As it was originally intended to be used? A Network Attached Storage device? (Read that as a mini-server with gobs of HDD attached to it...) :)
Rainz

Post by Rainz »

Well Mike, I don't know if I should elaborate on that in this thread but here goes:

The NAS is part of a redundant storage setup with NAS+Server. The Server has a shared drive of 5TB in RAID 5, this is the share we work against, all files get there, it is mapped as Q:. Every night all those files are synced to the NAS (with equal capacity).

That is basically it.

I have been pondering better or more automated solutions with rsync and what not, but I have not been able to put the time to get it to work. As it is, everyone is required to save their work on Q:\%USER% and there are a number of shared folder for Software, Media etc on Q that all can use for dedicated storage. That is with a Windows Server on an Opteron Dual CPU system with some Virtual machines I use on and off... We run 100% Windows here.

I do not keep System Images since I have not been able to find a reliable solution for that, maybe with the implementation of W10 and SRV2012R2 that might change, but for now it is not used on the Network, some comps have dual HDD's so local storage is possible for some of us to use as imaging in W7.

Above is used at home.

Return to “Meet and Greet”