Hi all - Volume question

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.
ScottC
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Hi all - Volume question

Post by ScottC »

Hi everyone, just received an Asustor 604T today.. I'm unsure about how to setup the disks though. My understanding is that if I go with RAID 0 or JBOD, I can't add to the volume later.
So my question is, if I have multiple disks that all have their own volume will the Asustor write data to all of the disks, or only to volume 1? In the explorer I notice the media folder etc, what happens when that is full?

I have a provision in place for backup of sensitive data, so redundancy isn't an issue. But I would like to know if I can expand the capacity of 604T later, without erasing any data first.

Thanks,

Scott.
orion

Re: Hi all - Volume question

Post by orion »

You can create multiple volumes through ADM web page -> Storage Manager -> Create. You can create many shared folders and specify which volume the data will be stored (Access Control).

mm... if you choose single disk volume first, you can expand volume size by upgrading to raid-5 or raid-6 (I don't recommend raid-10) without erasing your data.
ScottC

Post by ScottC »

Thanks Orion. Can I ask; what happens if say your media folder is on disk 1 volume 1 and it gets full? I imagine the ASUSTOR wont automatically start writing to another disk?

Thanks,

Scott.
orion

Post by orion »

In this case (volume 1 on disk 1), you'll need to migrate volume 1 to raid-1, raid-5 or raid-6. Then, you will get bigger volume 1. Your original data will remain the same during migration. And, you can still access your nas during migration.
ScottC

Post by ScottC »

Thanks Orion.
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

orion wrote:In this case (volume 1 on disk 1), you'll need to migrate volume 1 to raid-1, raid-5 or raid-6. Then, you will get bigger volume 1. Your original data will remain the same during migration. And, you can still access your nas during migration.
Hello Orion and ScottC,

When you migrate from a single disk to raid-1 the storage capacity will remain the same. You will get redundancy (one disk can fail and you will still have your data). So a single 3TB disk migrated to 2*3TB disk RAID-1 will give you 3TB worth of storage. Add another disk (3*3TB) and migrate to RAID-5 and you will get 6TB of storage space (and still have the option of one drive failing and no data loss).

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656

Return to “Meet and Greet”