Just bought an AS-608T and cannot download apps

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.
sbudak
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Just bought an AS-608T and cannot download apps

Post by sbudak »

After years of building my own servers, I have finally capitulated and purchased a NAS appliance. And what a cool little machine it is. The footprint is tiny for an 8-bay device and it is absolutely silent (compared to pretty much any other machine I own).

I have set it up with 8 x 4TB Seagate NAS HDD's, initialised the RAID5 array and updated the ADM to the latest. I have expanded the RAM to 3GB and just after setup, started to get network dropouts. Of course, I started reading the forums and thought that this might be some bug with ADM or the memory expansion. Thankfully, it was far simpler than that. When setting up the Network, I manually specified the IP address and stupidly, used an IP that was already in use. After working out that the IP was in conflict, I changed it on the NAS and Voila, no more network dropouts. 12 hours of 90% network load and no issues at all (a big robocopy job).

The only ongoing issue I have is downloading the ASUSTOR apps. They won't complete. They just kick off, get a few percent along and then hang. No error messages, no indication why. I cannot figure it out. It doesn't matter whether the NAS is under load or at idle, the apps fail to download. I have tried Download Centre, Boxee, Dropbox, and iTunes Server and all fail to install.

If anybody has a solution, please let me know.

Now, here's what I want in the next version please:
1: 64bit Quad Core CPU
2: 12 bays
3: Solid state storage for the ADM and programs on an MSATA device.
4: Audio circuitry for a 7.1 surround sound audio system. Digital out via Optical or SPDIF will do just fine.
5: Thunderbolt 2 connectivity
6: Wireless
7: Bluetooth
8: 4K capable video processing
9: Support for a Blu-Ray or DVD burner (maybe a 5 1/4" bay ?)
10: Locking HDD bays

This would make a extremely serious Multi-Media PC device. I'm thinking of using a Mac Pro (dustbin design) for this, but it requires external storage. Something with the footprint of the AS-608T (or a bit bigger) with the type of functionality listed above would be way superior for this purpose.

One can dream.
Steve
orion

Re: Just bought an AS-608T and cannot download apps

Post by orion »

My NAS (AS-604T) is silent too :D . I have no problems when download APPs in App Central. Your case should be unusual. You can send a support request to asustor. They should be happy to help you.
Auberon2k

Re: Just bought an AS-608T and cannot download apps

Post by Auberon2k »

My 608T has been a dream. Totally silent.
I have no issues downloading apps, I have updated to the latest ADM and upgraded to 3GB RAM.
Have you tried connecting the second LAN and let it DHCP? Could it be a DNS/routing issue when it tries to download the apps maybe?
That's my first suspect, something to do with DNS settings or default gateway. I don't use a static address on my, I've set it to aggregate the two LAN ports for load balancing and running DHCP with a reservation.

Return to “Meet and Greet”