URGENT ! Installation impossible, ASUS please respond.

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

salsaman
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

URGENT ! Installation impossible, ASUS please respond.

Post by salsaman »

Edit: I am posting here because can't create a support ticket, because I cannot get an Asustor ID, because I can't enter into ADM.
There doesnt seem to be a tech support number, so the only option left is to post here and hope somebody responds. ASUS THIS SUCKS ! I surely cannot be the only person experiencing this problem, if iti is happening to me thenit must be happening to thousands at least of other customers.
PLEASE SOMEBODY FROM ASUS RESPOND !

THE PROBLEM:

I have a brand new AS5202T, and today I received the hard drives I plan to use, 2 X Seagate Ironwolf 18T. Prior to buying all of this, I checked the hardware compatibility, and the disks are compatible with ADM 4.
The problem I am confronted with is that the NAS factory version of ADM is 3.x, thus it wont recognise the disks until I upgrade to version4. However, it appears that there is no way to upgrade without first initializing the disks, which of course I am not able to do.

I do have some older disks lying around which I could possibly use to try and bootstrap the system, however I don't want to risk losing the data on them. (In fact, one of the reasons for buying the NAS was to consolidate all the data on older disks).

I am considering buying a small hd, just to be able to do the ADM upgrade. I assume i can then power it down, remove the temporary disk, insert the Seagates, and then power it back up again with ADM 4 now installed. Maybe the unit is faulty and i need to return under warranty ? Or maybe by coincidence, both HDs are faulty. It is impossible to tell.

Am I understanding this correctly ? It seems like a bit of a waste to have to buy a whole new HD just to do a one time upgrade of ADM. Is there another way to do the upgrade that does not require having disks installed and recognised ?
ilike2burnthing

Re: URGENT ! Installation impossible, ASUS please respond.

Post by ilike2burnthing »

https://member.asustor.com/login

Sign in with a Google or Apple account instead.
salsaman

Post by salsaman »

I signed in with Google indeed, and it said it had logged a ticket. But I have not received any email confirmation, nor am I able to view the ticket, so I have no way to confirm that there is any record of this in the system.
ilike2burnthing

Post by ilike2burnthing »

https://member.asustor.com/support should show you the status of your tickets.
salsaman

Post by salsaman »

I think it only shows that if you log in with Asistor ID. In my case it only shows Profile and Support Request.

It's all part of the same problem -> can't do a full login without Asustor ID -> can't get Asustor ID without going into ADM -> cant go into ADM without initializing the NAS -> cant initialize the NAS without recognizing the disks -> can't recognize the disks without upgrading ADM -> cant upgrade ADM without intializing the system -> cant get Asustor ID without goin into ADM -> etc.
salsaman

Post by salsaman »

Assuming the problem is what I am guessing ti to be, then I would suggest as a possible future enhancement, allow ADM to be upgraded from a USB stick. Something like insert the pen drive in a USB slot, switch on and hold the power button for 20 seconds, and have it do the the upgrade.that way. Problem solved.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

1. Just wait for Asustor Support to get back to you.

2. Find any temporary spare old HDD/SSD to do the upgrade.

3. Do the upgrade manually, not hard to do but needs some technical knowledge of image dump.

Edited: IIRC there's also a bios update for mine, the 4 bay version, not sure about the 2 bay though and if that does affect recognizing your new 18TBs. If you managed to upgrade, check in the app store if there's any bios upgrade before swapping to the new 18TBs. The bios also can be flashed manually but again requires the skills.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
salsaman

Post by salsaman »

I could try the manual installl if I knew how. If it's just a case of ssh or sftp to the box then it should be no problem. I mostly use Linux, so if it requires some kind of Windows application then I would rather avoid that. IF all else fails I will buy the least expensive HD I can find and use that to bootstrap the system.
salsaman

Post by salsaman »

Well I can ssh in to it at least
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Since you're familiar with Linux, I'll just briefly give you some guidelines without exact details.

Disclaimer, modifying your NAS may affect the warranty hence do this at your own discretion as I'll not be held responsible. Proceed with due diligence.

1. Get the latest firmware for your model: https://www.asustor.com/service/downloads?product_id=61.

2. Extract its contents: builtin.*, bzImage*, initramfs* and get ready to transfer to the NAS, via scp or USB manually mounted to the NAS.

3. Unlock the DOM:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/toolbox diskman -lock /dev/mmcblk0 0
4. Mount these two partitions into a temp path: /dev/mmcblk0p[2-3].

5. Optionally copy a backup of its contents into somewhere safe incase you need to revert i.e. onto an external network location (scp?) or USB manually mounted to the NAS. You can also backup the whole 3.5GB partitions using image dump, dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/mnt/external-path/mmcblk0.img.

6. Replace its contents with the extracted builtin.*, bzImage*, initramfs*. Do this for both /dev/mmcblk0p[2-3].

Reboot and test see if you can use the new 18TBs. Note, do not mess with the DOM unless you know what you're doing. A recovery using live USB is needed to fix it. This DOM is relatively slow especially booting from a USB but do not disable this DOM in the UEFI/BIOS as the only way to enable it back is to reflash.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “Meet and Greet”