ASUTOR hit by Deadbolt

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

ov2rey
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

ASUTOR hit by Deadbolt

Post by ov2rey »

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-22 at 5.11.34 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-02-22 at 5.11.34 AM.jpeg (109.91 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
Lot of my ASUTOR NAS already hit by this malware!!!. Anyone also encounter same issue?
Stefan G.

Re: ASUTOR hit by Deadbolt

Post by Stefan G. »

The same thing happened to me. :cry:
i was able to shut it down on time and to save most of my files.
NAS update to last ADM version
trickle_38

Post by trickle_38 »

me too....it now wants to initialise. That is fail of my favourite NAS producer.
Waiting to get cure from them.
Rob
whoson3rd

Post by whoson3rd »

Not that I am a bitcoin person but according to the internet the .03000 Bitcoin equates to about $1,120.00 USD :o
Last edited by whoson3rd on Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saluton

Post by Saluton »

I got hit with the Deadbolt as well and my first impulse was to yank the LAN connection. Unfortunately that action also caused the power cable to fall out. Now I am waiting in the same boat with everyone else who shut the NAS down. I am waiting for a solution to be devised before I put the power back on because of the number of people saying that it wants to initialize then.
cliffpitt

Post by cliffpitt »

I got hit by this on sunday and lost all 7.4tb of my movies. I managed to save all 200+ gb of mp3's and my family photos which are the only files I had backups for anyway, after getting these files off the system halted and it said my system was no longer initialised, I got exactly the same message from the thieves as the OP did. I will NEVER pay anyone a ransom and would rather take the server offline with no internet access at all than pay this sub human scum a single penny. For anyone waiting for a solution or cure for this forget it as the damage is done and I dont believe that Asus will be able to ever get your files back.

Its mostly my own fault as I used JBOD and did not have a backup of the movies as I was saving up for a 18tb solution to do just that ( I have purchased one now the horse has bolted...lol ). Im retired now but I used to lecture everyone of my old clients about always having 3 backups onsite/offsite etc etc... so I should have known better being in the IT industry for 30+ years but I got complacent but Its ok though as it just means I got a good learning curve lesson.

I will rebuild my server better and cleaner than before and MKV all my dvd's again...sigh*... and eventually laugh at what an idiot I have been to even think ADM was even minimally secure....it isnt.
Saluton

Post by Saluton »

cliffpitt wrote:For anyone waiting for a solution or cure for this forget it as the damage is done and I don't believe that Asus will be able to ever get your files back.
I was hoping that ASUSTOR would come up with a 'magic bullet' to restore the NAS data, but I think you are speaking the truth that I didn't want to hear. I am a data-paranoid and have multiple backups of almost everything and was only using the NAS as a media server. When I get some time away from work, I will probably just initialize it and set it up on an internal router with no internet connection. Good luck with your file recovery!
jsan62864

Post by jsan62864 »

My NAS just got hit by Deadbolt. I am new to NAS. If I reformat or re-initialize the drives, will it get rid of the Ransomeware? Do I need to download a new OS/ OS Update?

Thanks to anyone that responds
orion

Post by orion »

jsan62864 wrote:My NAS just got hit by Deadbolt. I am new to NAS. If I reformat or re-initialize the drives, will it get rid of the Ransomeware? Do I need to download a new OS/ OS Update?

Thanks to anyone that responds
Yes, re-initialization should remove all of them (including your data). Simply remove all disks, then power NAS on. After on, put all disks back and follow the setup wizard. And, of course, you should update ADM to the latest one.
jiodjaly

Post by jiodjaly »

I have had my Asustor NAS for a few years now and it is choc full of music and photos. I dont access it frequently but tried to do so remotely from my Laptop today only to find most of the files deadbolted. Certain file types (.jfif for example) seem to have been ignored but all gifs, jpegs, jpg and mp3s etc have been encrypted. It seems this happened across the board on 10th June. I have now checked the NAS using its ADM interface and I was surprised after all I've read that there was no dreaded splash screen but it seems ADM has auto-updated itself and presumably rebooted.

I am not of a mind to finance criminals so I shall not be paying any ransom but is there any hope that a decryption app/tool will be made available from Asustor or a legitimate 3rd party? Any advice (other than paying the criminals) will be gratefully received.

As an afterthought. My systems has 2 drives and is configured for RAID 1. Does that offer any hope?

Return to “Meet and Greet”