Setup guide?

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Alanflying
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Setup guide?

Post by Alanflying »

I have just purchased a AS5304T, 3 x 8TB drives, trying to set it up. I have no knowledge of NAS setup. Does anyone know of a book currently available to help. I understand the "Asustor NAS setup guide" book is out of print (at least on Amazon), that would seem to be ideal.
Nazar78

Re: Setup guide?

Post by Nazar78 »

AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Alanflying

Post by Alanflying »

Thank you, I will have alook.
Alanflying

Post by Alanflying »

I have looked at the links. They show you need Control Centre. Control Centre app is on my local hard drive, but not in my home screen, I assume it should be. What has gone wrong with the software download?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Not sure what do you mean by "home screen", screenshots might help.

You can download and install the Control Center on your PC, then while your NAS is connected to the same local network as the NAS, you should be able to find your NAS from the Control Center and proceed with the setup.

Without the Control Center app, you can also use your web browser to configure the NAS. Just enter the NAS's local IP in your browser i.e. http://192.168.x.x. How to get the IP? You can find it from your router's admin page. How to access your router's admin page? It's usually the local network default gateway i.e. http://192.168.1.1, which is the default gateway IP shown in the network config of your Windows/MacOS/Linux PCs/Laptops.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Alanflying

Post by Alanflying »

Directory
Directory
Asustor control centre No3_A.jpg (393 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
"home screen" uploaded.
Home screen
Home screen
NAS Home screen.jpg (610.04 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
I would think the control centre app should be here, as can be seen, it is not.
I have downloaded the control centre app. It is on my local HDD, and is shown on the directory screenshot attached.
Directory
Directory
Asustor control centre No3_A.jpg (393 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
The exe file will run, but I don't want to use it as I have not entered the program the normal way and it might upset something.
I have been using my browser to try and do all the "setup" so far, but as I haven't used a NAS before I think I may have made mistakes - hence the request for the setup guide.
Thank you for your help so-far.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Alanflying wrote:
Asustor control centre No3_A.jpg
"home screen" uploaded.
NAS Home screen.jpg
I would think the control centre app should be here, as can be seen, it is not.
I have downloaded the control centre app. It is on my local HDD, and is shown on the directory screenshot attached.
Asustor control centre No3_A.jpg
The exe file will run, but I don't want to use it as I have not entered the program the normal way and it might upset something.
I have been using my browser to try and do all the "setup" so far, but as I haven't used a NAS before I think I may have made mistakes - hence the request for the setup guide.
Thank you for your help so-far.
Do you mean you can't find the Asustor Control Center shortcut icon on the Windows start menu and/or Desktop? Probably a bug during installation. I just tried clean install the app on Win11 and the shortcuts are there. Or you can just right click on the ControlCenter.exe then send to Desktop to create shortcut. Yes this is the default executable that runs Asustor Control Center. I actually never use this app but the browser instead, it works pretty much the same like any other NAS setup/management. So you're good to go.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Alanflying

Post by Alanflying »

Thank you Nazar78. I removed all elements of Control centre, re-boot, then re-install. It seems to work now. Just got to follow the instruction you gave in your first reply now!
Thank you
Alan

Return to “Meet and Greet”