W10 Networks needs smb1 client running to see NAS

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

JacktheRipperPhD
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

W10 Networks needs smb1 client running to see NAS

Post by JacktheRipperPhD »

I don't know if this is a Windows problem or a NAS problem, but my NAS does not appear in Windows Finder > Networks unless I have SMB1 enabled as a Windows Feature. Windows warns that SMB1 is not secure, so I don't want to use it. Is there anything I can do with the NAS setup to solve this? If I can't see the NAS in the Finder, SyncBack Pro will not work.
Becoming a happy customer, as I figure all this out
Nazar78

Re: W10 Networks needs smb1 client running to see NAS

Post by Nazar78 »

I don't know if this is a Windows problem or a NAS problem
I also don't know who to blame, don't want to point fingers :D
Windows warns that SMB1 is not secure, so I don't want to use it
If you don't have services exposed to the internet, then it's still "ok" (although highly not recommended) as many legacy device still uses SMB1. TLDR; Suggest you read about the SMB1 risks to understand its nature.

Back to your main question. Disabling SMB1 also disabled its dependency service (in fact totally removed), the Computer Browser, in Windows which uses SMB1 protocol. This service is required to discover then display network devices in the explorer. I'm not using SyncBack Pro but I'm sure your can access through its network share (\\nas-ip-or-host\foobar) or mapped drive?
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “Meet and Greet”