I'm at 4 stars now. 5 with a better Quick Start guide

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

JacktheRipperPhD
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

I'm at 4 stars now. 5 with a better Quick Start guide

Post by JacktheRipperPhD »

So, my initial impressions of my new AS5202T are not very great:
(1) Your Quick Installation Guide is pathetic. Bad drawings, not words (really, you don't know how to write any languages, and you don't have a camera to take pics?). I'm used to bad drawings, and I tried to follow the middle row, and obediently removed some screws, but, guess what: that row was for another (UNNAMED) model. I eventually figured out that the bottom row applied to my (UNNAMED) model, and I completed the steps, although your "pull" instruction with a push arrow in the wrong direction on the side strips was totally meaningless to me. More like get a screwdriver out and pry the sides off.
(2) So I downloaded the app, and got to the point of making a trial folder. I tried to drag a 15GB music folder to that new NAS folder using the Windows Finder, but it was so SLOOOOW (10MB/sec) that I gave up. And when I went to the Windows finder to see what files actually copied, there was no NAS and no folder, for at least 5 minutes, maybe longer. I know, that's Windows fault, but no warning from you about about that.
(3) So I used SyncBack Pro to make a backup task to move that music folder, but got the same SLOOOW transfer rate. Is this as good as it gets? I do have my computer and the AS5202 plugged directly into a new WiFi6 router, using the cables you provided, incidentally, and I installed a new Seagate Ironwolf 2TB drive.

Now, by now you figured out that I'm no network expert. But I've been using an ancient Buffalo NAS for eight years now, and it has the same file transfer speed as the AS5202T. I was hoping for better. Now tell me what I'm doing wrong, and tell me where I should have looked for how to do this simple task of moving my music library to your NAS, at a speed at least near to what you claim in your marketing materials, please...
Last edited by JacktheRipperPhD on Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Becoming a happy customer, as I figure all this out
orion

Re: Wow, what a disappointment so far

Post by orion »

Welcome to IT world. If you plan to utilize device in the best way / speed, you have no choices to dig functionalities deeper.
Your NAS should equip 2.5GbE network interface. It implies that you'll need to make sure all of your devices (router, PC, NAS) equip the same or higher interfaces if you wish to reach 2.5Gbps. If one of them is 1GbE, the bottleneck is 1Gbps. And don't use WIFI. Adopt cable among all devices.
JacktheRipperPhD

So, I am
( ) Enbarassed
( ) P**sed
( ) Astonished
( ) Amazed
( ) All of the above (check this box)

Turns out the culprit was a brand new LAN to USB-C dongle, provided by LG with my brand new LG Gram computer (actually weighs 1145 grams). I just assumed, in this day and age, that the dongle was 1 Gb/s, but it was not (and was not marked with a speed). It was only a 10/100 Gb/s device. I didn't think you could still buy the parts. The LG Gram is too thin to put an RJ45 connector on it, so they went the dongle route. I connected the LG to WiFi 5 GHz. and got 108 MB/sec data transfer rates to the AS5202T. My HP Legion got 120 MB/sec using its 1 Gb/s LAN ports.

Still befuddled about why Windows Finder refuses to show the NAS under Networks (unless SMB1 is enabled), but at least I can map a drive to it. Unfortunately both SONOS and my backup program do not show network drives during setups, so I have to enable SMB1 to change anything. Sorry for the excitement folks. Raising my review to 4 stars.
JacktheRipperPhD

So I followed the first four steps in this link, and now Windows Finder can see my NAS, even with SMBv1 turn off:

https://www.guidingtech.com/fix-network ... indows-10/

The key step was the third one, and everything started working after completing it. Clearly this is yet another stupid W10 configuration issue, but I think the installation process should at least alert, if not do, the needed steps to make a new NAS work as expected out of the box.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

JacktheRipperPhD wrote:So I followed the first four steps in this link, and now Windows Finder can see my NAS, even with SMBv1 turn off:

https://www.guidingtech.com/fix-network ... indows-10/

The key step was the third one, and everything started working after completing it. Clearly this is yet another stupid W10 configuration issue, but I think the installation process should at least alert, if not do, the needed steps to make a new NAS work as expected out of the box.
Interesting, I'm checked in for all the steps stated in the article, in fact all the Windows devices including virtual ones, but without computer browser service running (removed if smb1 turned off) the NAS will not appear although of course I can access/map. IIRC that was in Win10 not that long ago now the same on Win11. The NAS is set to smb2/3. Strangely my Asus rt-ax86u smb1/2 appears in the list. Is yours persistent throughout Windows reboots?
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
JacktheRipperPhD

Re: I'm at 4 stars now. 5 with a better Quick Start guide

Is yours persistent throughout Windows reboots?
No, I stand corrected. When I turned off the SMBv1 Client on both of my laptops, the NAS disappeared after the reboot, but the W10 computers could still see each other. Isn't that convenient for Microsoft. They punish the infidels. Since I'm doing a lot of SONOS stuff right now, I need SMBv1 Client turned on. That's the only thing it has, and SONOS smugly refuses to upgrade it for older devices. I've never been able to find any hard facts about what, exactly, are the ominously stated "security issues" with SMB1. I'm 100% behind my router on a private LAN/WiFi network. It only takes about 20 seconds to type "features" in the search box, hit return and scroll down to toggle SMB on or off, but I think I'll risk it for the convenience.

Sorry for the confusion I caused...

Return to “Meet and Greet”