shared folders intermittently lose access but NAS is still accessible

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Kmckim
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: shared folders intermittently lose access but NAS is still accessible

Post by Kmckim »

Follow-up....I cannot get into all of the shared folders using the IP address, some of them return the same error message as going through the file explorer...but sometimes I can get into them with the IP address.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

NP, if accessing the network folders via IP works meaning you no longer experience losing the folders overtime, then I would suggest that you add the NAS IP to the host file. Setup your NAS to have static IP (usually similar for such devices like printers etc). Then edit this file as administrator, "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts", add the NAS static IP and host to the last line. You'll need to do this on every workstation that's having this issue. You will still be able to browse normally through the "network" tab in the windows file explorer.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Kmckim

Post by Kmckim »

So, I was excited that there may be a work around, but the access through the IP address also drops from the NAS shared folders intermittently, and oddly, I can be prevented from accessing the shared folder using the IP address, but CAN access it though the file system....and sometimes it is the opposite.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Kmckim wrote:So, I was excited that there may be a work around, but the access through the IP address also drops from the NAS shared folders intermittently, and oddly, I can be prevented from accessing the shared folder using the IP address, but CAN access it though the file system....and sometimes it is the opposite.
This is strange, static IP usually solves all these DNS issues. On the workstations you're using (Win10?), does it have any other active adapters that might try to make a connection? From my end when using hostnames with DHCP, usually I get similar network share issues if the wifi tries to connect.

On windows these are also list of the things I usually check if I'm having network share issue:

1. Is the network set to private or public? Interface drivers up to date? Sometimes a network stack reset can help at certain circumstances.

2. Control Panel\User Accounts\Credential Manager, check anything related to the shares, does it have conflicting credentials between hostnames and IPs? Usually clearing anything related to the shares, logoff then re-login, then re-enter the credentials solves part of the issue.

3. When you receive the error, open power shell as administrator then run Get-SmbConnection. It will list out the active samba connections info to start troubleshooting.

Code: Select all

PS C:\Users\nazar> Get-SmbConnection

ServerName  ShareName UserName              Credential                          Dialect NumOpens
----------  --------- --------              ----------                          ------- --------
192.168.1.6 IPC$      MEG-TRIDENT-X10\nazar MicrosoftAccount\nazar              3.1.1   1
NIMBUSTOR4  Home      MEG-TRIDENT-X10\nazar MicrosoftAccount\nazar@********.com 3.1.1   5
NIMBUSTOR4  ********  MEG-TRIDENT-X10\nazar MicrosoftAccount\nazar@********.com 3.1.1   1
Sorry if I can't be much of help, unless hands-on, there's vast of things to look for in samba to troubleshoot. You can also start by looking at the dmesg via ssh as root to the NAS.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Kmckim

Post by Kmckim »

Sorry to have gone dark...I did the following...
1. Replaced my old router with a new one
2. Replaced 4 computers on the network with new ones (now all have Windows 10 Pro)
3. Re-assigned all the permissions on the Asustor unit
4. Network is private

Still having the same selective dropping. Also, in looking at the Asustor "Connection Log", the computers keep signing in and then out...not sure why they don't stay "signed-in" once we are on the network. Again though, it doesn't seem to matter as the computer generally loses access to just one of the shared folders and then still has access to the other 2 they are "permissioned" to have access to....then often if they wait 10 minutes or so they get access back.

One other thing I see in the logs...the new machines all "try" to log into the network on start-up as "guest" but they have "failed login attempt" each time (and they typically try 3 or 4 times at startup).

This should really be simpler. Thank you again for all your help!

When this happens next I will do the Get-SmbConnection and see what I find. Stay tuned...
orion

Post by orion »

Kmckim wrote: Still having the same selective dropping. Also, in looking at the Asustor "Connection Log", the computers keep signing in and then out...not sure why they don't stay "signed-in" once we are on the network. Again though, it doesn't seem to matter as the computer generally loses access to just one of the shared folders and then still has access to the other 2 they are "permissioned" to have access to....then often if they wait 10 minutes or so they get access back.

One other thing I see in the logs...the new machines all "try" to log into the network on start-up as "guest" but they have "failed login attempt" each time (and they typically try 3 or 4 times at startup).
That (login as guest first) is normal behavior in Windows. Did you see the protocol is smb in log? If yes, it is apparently that you did not try the method I posted. You should map a network drive. Then you won't encounter login/logout problems.

Return to “Meet and Greet”