shared folders intermittently lose access but NAS is still accessible

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Kmckim
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

shared folders intermittently lose access but NAS is still accessible

Post by Kmckim »

I have Lockstore 6602 on a small business windows network. NAS set up as a network device and shared folders are all visible to all users in windows file explorer and all have RW permission. Everything works great for and everyone can access shared files using standard file tree...but then sometimes while working on a file the shared folder suddenly becomes inaccessible and you cant even save to the folder....but the NAS is still fully accessible. Some shred folders are still accessible, but others are not. Restarting the computer often fixes the issue. If the shared folder is mapped as a network drive the folder access does not seem to drop, but our autocad xref files wont link if everyone uses the drive as their own network drive. My other older NAS (netgear) does not have this issue. I was looking to switch to the Asustor as an upgrade and it seems much better....except for this frustrating issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Nazar78

Re: shared folders intermittently lose access but NAS is still accessible

Post by Nazar78 »

I suspect the smb connection crashed for no apparent reason, probably optlock issue which you can try disable in the Services->SMB also SMB3 (this will slightly affect the performance, you can look it up). You can check in the dmesg for details. Instead of restarting you can try logoff the current user then relogin. Best that you contact Asustor Support for this.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
orion

Post by orion »

mm... It might be session drop for certain idle time. I think you can keep network drive mapped. Then keep autocad using network address (\\ip_address\share_name). That should be able to avoid session drop.
Kmckim

Post by Kmckim »

Thank you both! I will see if those suggestions take care of it!
Kmckim

Post by Kmckim »

So, none of this is working...I started a ticket but it is horrible that tech support is 12 hours off (I am in USA and work 7am to 7pm...tech support only gets back to me at 11:30 at night after I have gone home (almost to bed). Does anyone know if Asustor has tech support with USA hours of service?
orion

Post by orion »

On the other hand, you can check log to see if there are any clues (ADM web -> System Information -> Log).
Kmckim

Post by Kmckim »

Hi guys, still trying to figure this out....could not see any clues in the Log files.

Here are some thoughts….

1. We never lose access to the NAS itself (it is always still in our “network places” and we can see all the shared folders)
2. We often have access to the folder and then suddenly do not have access to the folder, but nothing has changed in what we are doing...and we may be working on a file that is open in the shared folder, and don't realize we have lost access until we go to save it and cannot save it to that shared folder.
3. Even when one person loses access to the folder, others on the network may still have access to the folder and be working fine with it.
4. I have 5 main shared folders I have added to the NAS, and sometimes I will only lose access to a few of those folders at a time and can still get into the other folders. Then sometimes access comes back 15-20 minutes later.
5. The same issue happens with the shared folders that the NAS itself set up (Home, Public, Web).

Is there something in the “properties” of the shared folders that limits the number of people accessing the folder, or the time you can stay logged into the folder, or that resets the connection to the folder?
Is there some protocol setting or credential or permission that is checked from the NAS shared folders every so often?
Interestingly, when the shared folder is mapped as a “network drive” it does not drop or lose connection (so if I am in the shared “MDG-Data” folder through the windows file explorer and I suddenly lose access, I also have the shared folder mapped as a “network drive” (Z:\\ NAS – MDG-Data) and can access everything through that network drive, just not through the windows file explorer. the network drive seems very stable...I don't think it has ever dropped out.

Any ideas?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

It could be an issue with the windows networking. How are you accessing the resources? Via IP or local hostname? From my experience usually accessing the hostname will have some issues overtime at least with wins and/or netbios. I'm currently using the ipv6 stack and this complicate things further which I ended up using dnsmasq. Do you experience similar issue when accessing the network folders using IP? Example \\192.168.1.1\MDG-Data.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Kmckim

Post by Kmckim »

I am not exactly sure of the terms, but I believe I am accessing through a local hostname just using the file explorer through the "network" tab in the windows file explorer. The NAS is visible on the Network (as are all the various computers and my other NAS). We then click on the NAS device in the file explorer and all the shared folders come up. Normally we just click on them and access everything. (everyone's username/password was entered the first time and "remember these credentials" was checked. Sometimes when we click on the shared folder we get the error (\\"NAS"\\"Shared folder" refers to a location that is unavailable....check to make sure the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again....). I just tried getting into it using the IP address as you suggested and I CAN get into it using the IP address, and I can also get into it using it mapped as a network drive on my computer, but not always through the windows file system. I have no problems at all with the other NAS shared folders on the same network set up the same way (though not an Asustor).
My biggest issues with setting this all up through network drives is that 1) It should work like my other NAS and just have access to the shared drives (on principal), and 2) We use autocad and have thousands of files on the system with x-references to various files, and when mapped through a network drive the x-ref paths no longer match so every file would need to be re-mapped using the network drive path instead of the file system path.
Kmckim

Post by Kmckim »

AND....THANK YOU for your help!

Return to “Meet and Greet”