This Forum Sucks!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

elFarto
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

This Forum Sucks!

Post by elFarto »

You have to wonder when the site administrator was last seen in 2014, the majority of admins and mods are also last seen 5+ years ago.

Seeing the many many posts of questions and frustrations, I would say anyone reading this is likely part of the majority of lost souls trying to find answers to a product that is dyeing a slow death. The innovators and creators of content have likely moved on to greener pastures, while the hardware seems to stay current.

I recently opened a support ticket and the response I got was on par with this forum, I am already regretting my purchase of 2 weeks ago.

They should take pity on us and unlock our NAS' to allow the install of Xpenology or OMV.

Just my 2 cents
ilike2burnthing

Re: This Forum Sucks!

Post by ilike2burnthing »

It' a community forum, users helping other users. If someone has a more serious issue, they should contact support. If the response you got from support was lacking, follow up on it. It took 4 or 5 replies when I dealt with them before they understood what the actual issue was.

As for this forum, admins aside, I and others have given and received help or clarification on various issues. If there's something you're having an issue with, ask for help. You have two posts less than 24hrs old, so I'd give it a while before trashing the forum or company.
elFarto

Post by elFarto »

I work in IT support, I am no stranger to fickle and ungrateful clients and the complaints that can come with the job.

My response was completely out in left field, the support person not only misspelled my name, gave a generic blanketed response a computer generated one might provide, and to throw salt in the wound linked this forum and an array of fluff and marketing websites to sell me on other models as additional support.

I asked simple, short and specific questions, but if Asustor uses this forum as their knowledge base we are all in trouble.

4 or 5 replies, how long did that take? I am guessing weeks if not months, given my experience.
ilike2burnthing

3.5 days, with the fix being released in the next ADM update. The ticket is technically still open because of a related but specific issue for which there isn't an easy fix on their end, just a workaround. The only reason I had a workaround for the original issue and was basically able to tell Asustor how to fix it was because of a user on this forum (thanks again to them).

Was your ticket about your issue about a USB enclosure? If so, was the response basically, 'we only test our own models and can't guarantee any others will work, nor do we supply support for them, but here are some links which might help'?
elFarto

Post by elFarto »

unrelated to that post.

It was around virtualbox. The problem I asked about has been asked here as well, with no solution. As the problem is around flash support, and flash is no longer is supported by Adobe no update or alternate solution is offered. This is not a troubleshooting forum solution, this requires Asustor to either pull this broken app from their app store, or fix/maintain it.

A community forum is the place to ask, hey what non-asustor product works because hopefully you get some relatable experience of enthusiasts who are looking to do like minded things, and not a "this is not supported" type response you would from a support ticket.

I belong to many forums, and all except this one have active mods who keep the ancient or irrelevant posts in the graveyard, there is so many unanswered posts everywhere, so many of the same type or related questions.

This forum needs maintenance, there could be Asustor savants posting here but no one would know because their posts are being lost in hundreds if not thousands of topics, sections and posts.
ilike2burnthing

Looks like VirtualBox themselves are the maintainer, not Asustor - https://www.asustor.com/app_central/app_detail?id=300
orion

Post by orion »

I agree with @ilike2burnthing's point. You are too emotional. All of your posts are quite new.
If you cannot get helps here in this forum, we usually send a support ticket to Asustor directly. They manage requests in their supporting system, not here in this forum. As far as I know, feature requests take longer time (compared to bug fixing requests).
elFarto

Post by elFarto »

...and you don't agree that this forum is a mess?
elFarto

Post by elFarto »

recent posts is not the only measure in which to judge, as I tell people who are in awe of me fixing their problems in 5 minutes, I tell them it took me 25years and 5min.
elFarto

Post by elFarto »

ilike2burnthing wrote:Looks like VirtualBox themselves are the maintainer, not Asustor - https://www.asustor.com/app_central/app_detail?id=300
Yes, but it is offered as Asustor app, there is no disclaimer use at your own risk. It should not be on the App store if it isn't properly vetted or maintained.

If none of you can see this, you are naive.

Return to “Meet and Greet”