This Forum Sucks!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

ilike2burnthing
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: This Forum Sucks!

Post by ilike2burnthing »

I'm not aware of the process as I've never submitted an app, but there is a vetting process (pretty sure VirtualBox would have passed with flying colours), and I would imagine that requests can be made if an app hasn't been updated in forever to either have it removed, or for someone else to take it over (assuming it isn't proprietary).

Given that VirtualBox is the maintainer, and the last update was only 7 months ago, your best bet is going to be contacting them.

You should take a look around App Central, the Asustor apps are in the minority. It's the same for Synology and QNAP.
elFarto

Post by elFarto »

Synology/Qnap maintain the apps in their app store, while 3rd party apps are identified as such.

Asustor does not seem to differentiate, but if they are truely 3rd party I should be able to side load a newer version and there is no option to do so. Therefore Asustor is the only authority that can, so they must maintain it.
ilike2burnthing

You can side load apps - App Central > Management > Manual Install

It comes with the warning, "Note: It is highly recommended that you only install Apps which have been officially verified by ASUSTOR. Installing unverified Apps may cause irreparable damage to the system."

Asustor includes a section in App Central called 'Asustor Apps', which is all the apps maintained by them. Clicking on any app will show you the Developer and the Maintainer. So yes, they do identify 3rd party apps.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
elFarto wrote:Synology/Qnap maintain the apps in their app store, while 3rd party apps are identified as such.
Asustor does not seem to differentiate, but if they are truely 3rd party I should be able to side load a newer version and there is no option to do so. Therefore Asustor is the only authority that can, so they must maintain it.
For QNAP you are false ...
... some application (QPKG) are provide out of the AppCenter (the App. store) ofr ex. in the forum

The reasons are multiple ...
the first is to don't know how users use it ... some of my own package (QNAP (before) or Asustor) are not or so less used that I never update it and restart it.
also in some cases APKG (or QPKG) App. store are NOT build to support (for ex. external get file) some actions ex. myHD APKG
Also some applications have an internal update mechanism ... and create a new package is just losting time (I write for users (like me) integrating applications. ... in this case App. Store is not build to manage optionnal package (so user informed but with possibility to hide update)
etc. etc.

You have 3 kind of package
1 Asustor or supported by Asustor package (provide by Asustor)
2 3rd Party and validated user package provide by Asustor but maintains by the developer / integrator like Plex server
3 users packages provide in the forum (or outside) without any validation by Asustor

Philippe.
NB I have integrated multiples packages on QNAP and Asustor as an independent user provider ... some are in the App. Store maintains by me but validated (seems not generating problems) Asustor so in AppCentral
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
elFarto

Post by elFarto »

So in my particular case regarding VirtualBox, Asustor has taken this a step further, they are using VirtualBox as a mechanism to sell their product and is not only in their app store, but part of their marketing... https://www.asustor.com/admv2?type=3&su ... =63&lan=en

To do this, and then turn around and say you're on your own is misleading.

They also provide support on how to use it here https://www.asustor.com/online/College_ ... ic=249#vb5 and even go as far as to to say "Click on flash applet. and Allow to Enable" , Adobe flash was retired Dec. 31/20. Here we are 4 months later and no update, this should have been caught before Adobe retired flash, and an update should have been released months before.

I also run Qnap, and 3rd party apps are listed under Partners, Synology identifies 3rd party as such.
ilike2burnthing

Then contact VirtualBox about it needing updated, and follow up with Asustor support, suggest that perhaps they should either remove this as an advertised feature, or chase down VirtualBox themselves. Hell, make it fun, throw in the phrase 'false advertising'.

Synology and QNAP list third party apps separately, Asustor list their own apps separately, all three make the distinction though. Asustor also clearly show who the maintainer is.
elFarto

Post by elFarto »

You are suggesting the onus of this problem falls to the end user to fix Austor's release management. I'm not going to repeat myself where your 3rd party apps are concerned.
ilike2burnthing

The onus isn't on you, nor was it on me when I wanted their reverse proxy fixed, nor is it on any end user of any software when they fill out a bug report or a support ticket, but presumably said end users want the issues resolved and understand that devs rely on user feedback (and when there's a language barrier, how you explain something the first time might not be clear enough), so they do so.

If you want to use VirtualBox, and you didn't mention Asustor's own advertising to them before, and you think there might even a slight chance that your point wasn't fully understood, I'd suggest following up with them.

If however you mentioned absolutely everything, and you phrased it so clearly that it couldn't possibly be misunderstood, and they replied directly to every point you made, then I'd suggest contacting VirtualBox instead, given that they're the clearly identified maintainer.

Ideally do both, but hey you do you, I don't use it so it doesn't affect me.
elFarto

Post by elFarto »

Having updated ADM to beta 4.0 in hopes that the changelog was accurate with regards to an update for remote access, I was not surprised when I was yet again being prompted for a Flash plugin. This was the final nail in the coffin, and I bought the Synology 220+ which is in the same class/price as the AS5202T.

Also Surveillance Center is unavailable in ADM 4.0.

Needless to say Synology is leading the industry for a reason, their VMM works without a hitch in console/browser using HTML5. I will say having a Windows 10 vm running on both, the Asustor seems snappier than the Synology. Time will tell if I keep the Asustor around.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

You are free to write your opinion ... no problem
Just few points :
ADM 4 is in Beta (for the core) and applications will come one after the other (ex. first beta can't have Asportal) ... so it's a risk to get the Beta ... but in no case it's like a release candidate or a stable delivery

Beta is to send to Asustor your remarks and problems using the feed back button on the WebUI page ... I suppose you have put this on feedback to support and wait for the response before having a definitive opinion ...
I think you are true for flash usage, but ... it's easy to sandbox browser (some of one) to avoid any risk ... even I don't know the future from Asustor.

Asustor is not responsible for the choice of the partners applications ... I suppose you know that Virtuabox is not build by Asustor :) ... but this can be write on Virtualbox forum.

At end, even I respect totally your opinion, I have multiple NAS from multiple Brand ... don't dream, Syno is the leader, because (and it's good) they start early in this market and have lot of people compare to Qnap or Asustor, so in some case more reactive ... but with also a lot of constraints and biggest is not always synonymous of quality and increase the risk of bugs.
So yes for a specific point or application, one brand is better than another one ... but it's not true for 100% of them ...

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “Meet and Greet”