New to NAS coverting from Seagate Central server

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

georgewever
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

New to NAS coverting from Seagate Central server

Post by georgewever »

Hello I used to have a seagate Central server on my network. This was pretty much a plug and play device that was super easy to set up with little to no configuration. Had movies, Music, Pictures and files on it. Would stream to all my devices in the house that had a media player. Mapped network drives from my local PC to my documents and files. They no longer make these drives and with my drive finally dying I was forced into a new NAS server and finding I stepped into an area that is beyond my skill level. Bought a Asustor AS5202T 2 bay unit and 2 Seagate IronWolf HDD that i set up Raid 1 on the unit. I have no issues connecting to this device from the software on my PC. Even mapped network drives to my documents as I had set up before. My issue is that none of my devices on the LAN see the media server. I did install a media server app on it with all dependent apps. also enabled NFS however still no luck. Most of the devices streaming in the house are ROKU players that have the media players installed. Not sure what im doing wrong and kind of hitting a wall. I have emailed tech support and waiting for assistance there as well but figured I would get into a forum of awesome geeks that can hopefully educate me a little on the subject!!\
Thanks in advance
georgewever

Re: New to NAS coverting from Seagate Central server

Post by georgewever »

So I have now been able to set up where i can watch or DL my videos with my phone over the internet. I can backup my pics on my phone over the internet. Pretty much can do everything I could ever want but stream from the media players over my LAN. any suggestions?
orion

Post by orion »

georgewever wrote:I did install a media server app on it with all dependent apps. also enabled NFS however still no luck.
What apps did you install? Try to install DLNA servers, for example, miniDLNA.
georgewever

Post by georgewever »

first I tried Media Cast then I did looks good. I will try miniDLNA next.
georgewever

Post by georgewever »

Ok so tech support said the following "This means that the router you got is not compatible with ez-router so it can't set up the port forwarding rules for you. Meaning that you will need to do it manually." He then gave me a link to instructions to Configure my network equipment to setup remote access to your NAS via the Internet. Since i already had a NAS server running on my network i would think It should run. Maybe im confused because what im reading says the media would have to upload to internet then stream back to device. Am I over thinking this?
orion

Post by orion »

:?: You said that you can access data over internet.

MiniDLNA is suitable to work with ROKU players within LAN. It's nonsense to stream data to internet, then stream data back to your local player.
georgewever

Post by georgewever »

Yes i can access over the internet with no issues only issue is accessing with devices on my LAN locally.

will try that app now im not understanding the tech support. The EZ Connect says UPnP is not turned on but it is so it wont set up port forwarding. going to get mini DLNA now and try to set it up.
georgewever

Post by georgewever »

WOW 2 days and MiniDLNA worked. Thank you so much man I was about to cry... EZ Connect still does not work but thats fine im stoked everything I wanted to accomplish is working!!!

Return to “Meet and Greet”