My New AS6604T arrives next Week!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

AndyM
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: My New AS6604T arrives next Week!

Post by AndyM »

Hi Cristakke,

To follow up, I had heard elsewhere KODI was a popular streaming solution and it was recommended by Orion on this site so I decided to have a look. Got it installed yesterday and it works so I am pretty pleased about all that. Need to play with it a bit more to see if I can get the video stream quality up and learn more about it but that seems to be the route I am going for now.

Cheers
Andy
cristakke

Post by cristakke »

Hi ANDY
Yes .. Kodi is also a good way to test.
For me isn't a solution because I can't install as app in TV. .. instead I have installed, Plex as a default app. and I stick with it but works very well.
Could be a very good solution for your demands. For me, I leave stream quality direct, as original, and is work perfect but I was forced to buy another router to handle high speed and video streaming, also I updated my switches and cables...you know AS6604 know 2,5 GB seed on LAN...but all hi rez movies work perfect also with 1GB, so no worry for this.
Cheers
C
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Another alternative is Jellyfin, a free fork from Emby. I switched from Plex after it broke direct play for 100mbps hevc unless being transcoded which is at times unnecessary when watching directly from my tv that supports it. I have several tvs, ios and android clients connected both locally and remotely. Even Jellyfin is not as polished as Plex, everything is really smooth and pleasant once properly setup. I.e. direct play 4k high bit rate over the internet from a remote tv then other portables can make use of transcoding. I used Kodi when I first started but now I'd prefer controlling everything including the sound system from one tv remote.

Edited:
Oh yes I still make full use of the nas hdmi, for Linux Center which I've replaced Debian Buster with Ubuntu Focal mainly for web browsing with Chrome, Youtube and emulator or steam games.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Nice to hear there are several options. As I get a little more comfortable with the technology I will be sure to keep Jellyfish/Emby and Plex in mind. Right now Simple is a real bonus for me.
cristakke

Post by cristakke »

Nazar78 wrote:Another alternative is Jellyfin, a free fork from Emby.
Nice to have options ... My Tv isn't on Android and I can't install any apps on it. I'm stuck with Plex and despite limitations works well for me.
I'm not on transcoding side because for me is useless to downgrade an 4k movie to smartphone ( to watch on toilet :shock: maybe ) and not to watch and share with everybody on big high quality screen, but for some people is a must option and I respect that.

Also I test the streaming without NAS involved and also I have the same result on streaming direct to TV, work perfect but I want to have all my movies in one place ....I don't use also the HDMI out feature but I prefer to have on board then not, that way I buy ASUSTOR ... to have hardware options.

I'm wondering if I put 2 Nmve 256/512 gb on NAS,I could be sure in the near future, no matter what big bitrates will be (>80-90 mbs), streaming will work flawless ... ? or depends also from the software involved ... Emby / kodi / Plex or others ?

Best
C
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

useless to downgrade an 4k movie to smartphone
I used to think that way too but not till I'm in a room at night on business or vacation, the wifi is not that great for 4k even high res 1080p and the TV listing sucks lol, transcoding and wireless cast to the tv to the rescue.

Which tv is that if you don't mind? Can't install apps but you can run plex on it? Web-based? My living room tizen 65" tv supports plex and emby but doesn't officially support jellyfin yet but there's ways to install it. The older 55" in my room only supports plex officially still I can run jellyfin unofficially but for both apps on the older tv there's a limit in bit rate and res so the limitation is the client, the older tv in my case hence transcoding involved if the bit rate or res exceeds.

The nas also should be able to support multiple high bit rate streaming even on a single 5400rpm. So far I've tested 4k hevc 10bit 100mbps direct play simultaneously on 4 clients (3 remotely, one at home) and I'm sure it can do way more with no sweat. So you can reserve the nvme for other better purposes like cache or running apps on it.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
cristakke

Post by cristakke »

Nazar78 wrote:
Which tv is that if you don't mind? Can't install apps but you can run plex on it? Web-based?
WEBOS based - LG.... and stop. Maybe are some apps I did'n't find / know but I use Plex only for subtitles... LG TV can play 4k UHD with hi bitrate HEVC but only embeded subtitles... Plex know how to handle external subtitles.

About transcoding... When I was in holiday, I stay far away from "smart" things... because I was all day long over "the screen" and I want some clear mind and eyes... :D

I have NAS hard drives 7200 rpm / 128 cache but in the near future I want to upgrade the NAS as max with supported hardware, to be prepare in the future for VM or other big things who are hungry for more ... memory and others.

best
C
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

I can but the family can't haha.

Similar to tizen not officially supported "yet" but able to install, for LG if you like to play around https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-webos
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

cristakke

Post by cristakke »

Thank you ...
I give a shot when I have some "free minutes" ...
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

I can see from this discussion I have a LOT to learn! Looking forward to it - right now getting the HDMI out to play videos is a major success and I am loving it.

Return to “Meet and Greet”