Slow file transfer

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

thebarbs
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Slow file transfer

Post by thebarbs »

Hi,
I am transferring files from the from the video folder to a new folder called Movies in public and windows has calculated that it will take over 1 hour to move a 1.4GB file, is this normal?
I use to use an old PC running nas4free until it died but never had this issue.
I am using windows file explorer to move the files and new to Asustor.
Thanks for any help or comments. :?
father.mande

Re: Slow file transfer

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
thebarbs wrote:Hi,
I am transferring files from the from the video folder to a new folder called Movies in public and windows has calculated that it will take over 1 hour to move a 1.4GB file, is this normal?
I use to use an old PC running nas4free until it died but never had this issue.
I am using windows file explorer to move the files and new to Asustor.
Thanks for any help or comments. :?
No ... it's not "normal" verify network speed / activity on NAS (indexing ? backup ? high I/O ? etc. ?)
Also always precise Model and A.D.M. version (ex. in the signature of your post)

just to compare short test as is : compressed file 1,7 GB from Windows to Asustor NAS, network 1 GB (not dedicated) ... NAS and Windows nothing stopped : total time : < 20 seconds. ... ~100 Mo/s

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
jimmyellis166

Post by jimmyellis166 »

That's way too slow check for diagnose of your system. You can check various tips from here gameive.
Last edited by jimmyellis166 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

hi
if 'windows' is saying something about file transfer speed, that's means that you are using Windows explorer to move your files from NAS to NAS.
this is far the worst solution for doing that, because data are transferred from NAS to your laptop, then transfered back again to your NAS. if your laptop is connected over Wi-Fi, that's explains the poor performances.

good solution is to open file explorer within NAS web interface and to move files from one place to another.
or use Aidata to do the same from yoir android device.

in addition, 'transferring' data from one place to another is totally different depending if source and destination are in same volume or not.
if in same volume, 'transferring' is just a rename operation and just needs a few seconds even thru windows explorer
if in different volumes, that's means copying each byte of data from one place to another, removing source data after transfer is done.
herbie28

Post by herbie28 »

Hi

I’m a newbie to the Asustor NAS.
I’m also brand new to the Forum. So I apologise profusely if I’ve waded in “off-topic” and I’m meant to post elsewhere. Each forum varies.

I purchased and installed the 5202T a few days ago.
I am now suffering poor transfers speeds after the systems been running for about 17 hours.

I had did a quick calculation of the MAXIMUM transfer speed possible but just copying a large file from my data drive (D drive) to the C drive. I looked at the internals bus speed and said “it absolutely can’t be above this … “. The file was over 3GB in size & copied from my HDD data drive, D drive, (a WDC model WD60EZRZ-22GZ5B1) to the SSD C drive (Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB). This was achieved at a steady speed of 150 MBps .
Next I copied the same file over the 1000Mbps network card (1Gbps) ethernet connection via the router (ASUS RT-AC87U) to the NAS. It did so at about 80 MBps.
I thought ... “OK this is quite reasonable over ethernet. I can live with this”.

I then set up a job in EZ Sync to copy the whole D drive (6TB capacity but using 3.69TB of it) to the NAS.

Once again the process took of like a “skun cat” for the first half hour. The NAS was humming away and moving along at 60MBps. Happy daze.
After a half hour the transfer rate plummeted to 5 MBps. And there it has pretty much stayed (between 2-5MBPs) except for a few spasms over the last 17 hours. A 30min spasm 2 hours later followed by one 6 hours later (for 30 mins). EZ Sync was the only substantial job on the PC occupying 31% of the CPU.

After running overnight, I got up this morning to see only 170GB of data had been transferred @ an average of about 2MBps. In total The NAS had transferred 18,000 files. It was limping along at 1MBps when I looked at my PC this morning. The PC is not stressed nor doing anything other than this task.

I then paused the job; downed the NAS; rebooted the Router; rebooted the PC.
Restarted the above plus the EZ Sync job. It continues to limp along at 0.5-2MBps. Yes it transferring files but at this snail’s pace. The box continues to hum and SOUNDS like it’s working away productively but clearly is not.
The ASUS Router has excellent Traffic Monitoring capability and I can analyze the Client data flows individually.
The NAS “Activity Monitor” confirms the same miserable picture. Transfer rates to both drives @ 100KBps at present. CPU at barely 10%. Memory 25%. 12.45 TB free of 12.63TB now.
What is going on???

Yes … I do understand than small files transfer at a slower rate that large files because the same overhead is involved in opening/checking/closing etc etc. But in that FIRST HALF hour of good speed there were many files of 10kB or less plus larger ones. A good mix.

Can anyone assist me with ideas about what to look for the bonnet of these components please ?

What other considerations or diagnostic tools do I need to be aware of ?

I don’t have data aggregation set up. I did at one stage but was getting no slower speeds with it ON.
The n/w card is 1Gb and the staedy blue on the NAS box says it's connected to one.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Here are some hardware/software numbers for components:
Dell PC
=====
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DELL-DESK
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Vostro 470
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Procs
Time Zone AUS Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 10.1 GB
Total Virtual Memory 17.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.71 GB
Page File Space 1.00 GB

NAS
=====
ADM vers: 3.5.1.R8C1
BIOS vers: 1.25
Model: 5202T
Processor: Intel Celeron CPU @ 2 GHz
Router
======
Model: ASUS RT-AC87U
orion

Post by orion »

Is it possible that CPU 31% on your PC (25% for one core + 6% for other cores) means the full power of one CPU core? This core might be busy to process some small files?!

By the way, I actually prefer to map a network drive to backup / copy files to / from NAS (although EZ Sync should do the same way on LAN environment).

Return to “Meet and Greet”