NIMBUSTOR 2 (AS5202T) (Tried Pre-sales Questions...)

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

GuruSR
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

NIMBUSTOR 2 (AS5202T) (Tried Pre-sales Questions...)

Post by GuruSR »

As the topic says, I was looking to get some answers from Pre-Sales, sadly, what I got was nothing but other topics as answers.

With it being a 2 bay RAID, I had the question, if both bays were populated with 8TB and I wanted to up it to say 16TB, replacing the left bay, waiting for it to sync, then replacing the right bay, would both bays expand to the full space of the new drives once both are synced? (The answer I got was with a 4 bay version, of adding another drive...)

The next question was a 2 part question: A) Does it support Battery Backups plugged into it and (B) does it support other devices connecting to it to retrieve the status of the Battery Backup?

The answer I got was: Please use compatible UPS to avoid compatibility issues.

Nowhere on the website could I find a compatible UPS chart, nor anything in the College about any of my questions.

Anyone here able to help answer these questions?
Nazar78

Re: NIMBUSTOR 2 (AS5202T) (Tried Pre-sales Questions...)

Post by Nazar78 »

1. Yes two steps, replace/rebuild new disks, then expand volume. https://www.asustor.com/online/College_ ... 352#raid32

2. https://www.asustor.com/en-gb/service/ups?id=ups
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
GuruSR

Post by GuruSR »

Nazar78 wrote:1. Yes two steps, replace/rebuild new disks, then expand volume. https://www.asustor.com/online/College_ ... 352#raid32
So you have to manually tell it you're doing it first (instead of just doing it), that is different than what I've seen, but alright. Thanks for that answer.
The (B) part, is there a "NUT" Service so other devices connected to that UPS can talk to the AS5202T to retrieve the information on the battery status?

GuruSR.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

So you have to manually tell it you're doing it first (instead of just doing it), that is different than what I've seen, but alright. Thanks for that answer.
Not sure what you meant and seen but this process is similar to any other RAID migration on other systems even if it's being done manually in the terminal only that the wizard prompts you what to do next.
The (B) part, is there a "NUT" Service so other devices connected to that UPS can talk to the AS5202T to retrieve the information on the battery status?
Correct.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
GuruSR

Post by GuruSR »

Nazar78 wrote:
Not sure what you meant and seen but this process is similar to any other RAID migration on other systems even if it's being done manually in the terminal only that the wizard prompts you what to do next.
I can walk up to other manufacturer's RAIDs, pull a drive out, I get a notification that it has been removed, I replace it with a larger one, put that in, I get told again a new drive is in, RAID is degraded, then I get another notification that it is synced and there is a mismatch in drive types, then I can pull the other drive out and repeat the process, it tells me all the way via emails what is happening. I never have to open the UI to do this.
Nazar78 wrote:
Correct.
That is good to hear, hopefully it'll be as the regular NUT servers I'm used to.

GuruSR.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

GuruSR wrote:I can walk up to other manufacturer's RAIDs, pull a drive out, I get a notification that it has been removed, I replace it with a larger one, put that in, I get told again a new drive is in, RAID is degraded, then I get another notification that it is synced and there is a mismatch in drive types, then I can pull the other drive out and repeat the process, it tells me all the way via emails what is happening. I never have to open the UI to do this.
Yes that's the normal way for all similar RAID systems and that also works on the Asustor but you seems to miss the last step, volume expansion. Hence the wizard is there to guide inexperienced users.

Basically the NAS runs on a stripped down Linux version, busybox. You can pretty much do whatever you want with it outside its scope if you know what you're doing like compiling your own kernel modules or run debian/ubuntu etc. I can even boot Windows natively on it: Windows 10 Pro on Nimbustor.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

GuruSR

Post by GuruSR »

Nazar78 wrote:
GuruSR wrote:I can walk up to other manufacturer's RAIDs, pull a drive out, I get a notification that it has been removed, I replace it with a larger one, put that in, I get told again a new drive is in, RAID is degraded, then I get another notification that it is synced and there is a mismatch in drive types, then I can pull the other drive out and repeat the process, it tells me all the way via emails what is happening. I never have to open the UI to do this.
Yes that's the normal way for all similar RAID systems and that also works on the Asustor but you seems to miss the last step, volume expansion. Hence the wizard is there to guide inexperienced users.
Well, other RAIDs, that I've worked with, do the syncing when new drives are in and if they're larger, it automatically does the volume expansion. Good to know that it does do this too.

GuruSR.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Auto sync/rebuild yes but RAID auto volume expansion? Never seen such thing for RAID systems on the enterprise level, or at least on most of the consumer NAS. Due to the fact that the system doesn't know what to do next, does the user want to expand? Or create new partitions? Some RAID systems if you were to add a new disks, it will be automatically marked as spare. Of course I could always mod this 'auto volume expansion' if I wanted to, but it will not officially happen on the NAS without user intervention.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

GuruSR

Post by GuruSR »

Nazar78 wrote:Auto sync/rebuild yes but RAID auto volume expansion? Never seen such thing for RAID systems on the enterprise level, or at least on most of the consumer NAS. Due to the fact that the system doesn't know what to do next, does the user want to expand? Or create new partitions? Some RAID systems if you were to add a new disks, it will be automatically marked as spare. Of course I could always mod this 'auto volume expansion' if I wanted to, but it will not officially happen on the NAS without user intervention.
Well, it does state it is "going to do the expansion", I can disable that if I want to by cancelling the step before it happens, but if I don't want to, it just goes ahead.

Totally alright this way, the AS5202T is running here now in place of the older RAID, though I'll start new threads with issues.

GuruSR.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

You are probably seeing a custom system (or let us know here) because not even any distro would do automatic expansion of partitions and fs without any user intervention. Probably you'll end up with Gparted. If you're expecting the NAS to do that, then you'll have lots of expectation for a consumer NAS which none has. Good luck.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “Meet and Greet”