Media server drives

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Dmc32849
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Media server drives

Post by Dmc32849 »

I am attempting to use the AS1104t to serve my media files to my home network system. I have two 5T drives loaded with current movies/TV Shows, currently being shared through Windows 7 network. My learning curve with this NAS seems to be telling my that only drives from another ASUSTOR system can be directly swapped into the NAS unit. Am I correct that I will need to add a blank drive into the NAS and then copy files to new drive? Also related if I have two new drives when the initial initialization, will adding others disrupt the first two?
orion

Re: Media server drives

Post by orion »

Dmc32849 wrote:this NAS seems to be telling my that only drives from another ASUSTOR system can be directly swapped into the NAS unit.
This way is only when you plan to "change" NAS (from an old Asustor NAS to a new Asustor NAS).
Simply insert new disks to NAS, then turn it on. Install Asustor Control Center software in your PC, follow the setup procedure.
Dmc32849

Post by Dmc32849 »

Thank you, the New drive will arrive Wednesday for the original initialization, then I will be ready to add the existing drives. I appreciate the response.
Dmc32849

Post by Dmc32849 »

I have installed the new 8t drive and initialized the system. The system is working good. Now when I add one of the other existing full of data drives, it shows as inactive. When I go to the storage manager, and try to create a volumn, it will erase the data. The system knows the drive is there, but it remains inactive... ???
orion

Post by orion »

That's correct. NAS system will format the disks on internal slots first, then create volume. It implies erasing all of data.

You can only access existed data on disk through "USB interface".

Return to “Meet and Greet”