Connect to another asustor NAS

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

zul277
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Connect to another asustor NAS

Post by zul277 »

What is the fastest way to transfer files between two NAS? None of my notebooks have ethernet
orion

Re: Connect to another asustor NAS

Post by orion »

Not sure if the wifi speed on your notebook is fast enough or not. That's the easiest way.
The fastest way should be physical connection. You can buy a USB 1GbE ethernet for your notebooks, then connect to NAS. Or use external USB HDD to transfer data, i.e., NAS to external USB HDD, then external USB HDD to your notebook. However the speed is depending on the external USB device too. I'd prefer USB ethernet.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

The solution is in your description : the fastest way to transfer directly from one NAS to the other is to transfer directly from one NAS to the other (and not threw your notebook)
That is : data are to be transferred directly from one NAS to another, and only control of operation are to be transferred to your notebook.

1st solution : Install FTP explorer on one NAS, and activate FTP service on the other, initiate file transfers directly from one NAS to the other within ADM web interface--> FTP explorer ( you can do this remotely from your notebook or other device )

2nd solution : use backup solution with Rsync.
MonsMagnus

Post by MonsMagnus »

I personally use Rsync as I can have it setup to automatically backup every week. That way you dont need to initiate the transfer every time. Just set the job up once, and have it repeat every day/week/month whatever interval you decide. The only catch is both NAS units need to be on the same LAN connected via Ethernet. Get a cheap gigabit switch or plug both into your router, then schedule the rsync job and let it go.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

MonsMagnus wrote:...The only catch is both NAS units need to be on the same LAN connected via Ethernet.....
You mean : for high speed transfer.... For rsync, this is not mandatory, of course.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”