Raid1 + RAID0 on same NAS

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

jbrckovic
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Raid1 + RAID0 on same NAS

Post by jbrckovic »

I have a small office and recently have bought 4-bay as6104t for a network file storage.
My plan is to have 2 disks in mirroring mode where all projects are stored, and at least one disk is needed for common files needed for different projects.
I've already made 2 disks in RAID1 for a projects folder and it works well, but I'm not sure how to setup another disk with different files like librararies, textures etc.

Also, is there a possibility to have another disk in this same NAS where those RAID1 backup is scheduled?

Thanks in advance,
Josip
orion

Re: Raid1 + RAID0 on same NAS

Post by orion »

You should be able to create another volume under ADM web -> Storage Manager -> Create. After that, you can create shared folders under this new volume (it should be volume-2 normally): ADM web -> Access Control. Of course, you'll need to setup access rights for those shared folders.

You can find the desired backup: ADM web -> Backup & Restore -> Internal Backup.
jbrckovic

Post by jbrckovic »

Thank you for your quick answer orion.
For some reason, Create button in storage manager window is greyed out. Does anybody know why is that?
jbrckovic

Post by jbrckovic »

I've re-inserted it in slot 4 and it works now. Thanks for your help!
alexbret

Post by alexbret »

RAID 0 offers striping with no parity or mirroring. Striping means data is "split" evenly across two or more disks. For example, in a two-disk RAID 0 set up, the first, third, fifth (and so on) blocks of data would be written to the first hard disk and the second, fourth, sixth (and so on) blocks would be written to the second hard disk. A downside of this approach is that if even one of the disks crashes, the entire RAID 0 setup fails because data becomes unrecoverable. In technical terms, this is described as a lack of fault tolerance. A RAID 1 setup is different. There is no striping; the entire data is mirrored on each disk. This results in multiple copies of data (redundancy). And if one of the disk fails, data can still be recovered because it is intact on the second disk (most RAID 1 setups use only 2 disks, though some may use more), which means RAID 1 is fault tolerant.

Moderator Edit: I will be watching this poster's future posts. As his comments on Raid 0 and Raid 1 seem to be on the money. The issue comes from the links the poster has in his signature. If future posts are less informative, or continue with this signature I will be banning the account. A warning has been issued.
EmmaCharlotte

Post by EmmaCharlotte »

Still, I am a little confused that how a raid can compress the file and store in it?
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
EmmaCharlotte wrote:Still, I am a little confused that how a raid can compress the file and store in it?
Raid IS NOT responsible for file / folder / partition / disk compression
... raid manage the organisation of data (any type compressed or not) on multiple disks or partitions
ex. :
... raid0 put each block of a file on separate disk / partition to accelerate access but break totally security
... raid1 duplicate data on mirrored disks / partitions to be able to keep data after crash of one disk (so accelerate read, slow down (a little) write, add security)
etc. etc. for each type of raid ... depend of your request in term of data security and / or access

Compression can be done at disk / partition / folder / file level and is totally independent of the Raid under
ex. : in Raid1 the encrypted file is copied AS IS on the mirror disk etc. etc. disk I/O know blocks (based on disk format) but not what is inside

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
chris.e

Post by chris.e »

More advertising bots using text lifted directly from the internet.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”