PlexRequests on Asustor

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

MikeG.6.5
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

PlexRequests on Asustor

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Part of running a media system on your NAS is making sure you have media people want to watch. Enter PlexRequests: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/15189 ... equests/p1

This uses CouchPotato for movies, and either Sonarr or SickRage/SickBeard for TV shows. It also needs a good torrenting app (I'm using Deluged from Appp Central right now.) And/or a NXB downloading app (Using SABnzbd for those.) And it's going to require you have an account with a news feed or premium torrenting site.

Another pre-requisite of setting this up is Father_Mande's excellent HX_Desktop. You can find that in the 3rd party apps forum.

Now comes the hard part. PlexRequests uses Meteor to run, which, well, bites a big one, honestly....

So I had to open a terminal window up in the desktop and use this command to install meteor:

Code: Select all

curl https://install.meteor.com/ | sh
After that you download the zip from the first link I posted, unzp it to a folder that the desktop has permissions to read and write to and then open a terminal window to that folder. Type

Code: Select all

meteor
and there it is. I believe it defaults to port 3000, so if you want others outside of your LAN to access it, you need to forward that port on your router.

Log in right away with your Admin email account info, and fill out the various setup stuffs, like API keys to CouchPotato, Sonarr, Plex.tv, etc. and decide if you want your users to be able to request, etc. You can even set up PlexRequests with PushBullet so if someone sends a request you get a notification about it, automatically.

Now if your users want a show or movie that you don't have already, you can point them to that site on your NAS, they can request it, and if you have user permissions set up for it, you either approve or not. And now your system starts looking for it automatically if it's approved. Totally hands free if that's how you have it set up. (I advise you to make some users, like kids require an approval first.)

Any questions, as always, let me know and I'll try to answer them.
richardpoyner

Re: PlexRequests on Asustor

Post by richardpoyner »

Hello MikeG.
Thank you once again for an other post.

I have tried to use putty and run:
"curl https://install.meteor.com/ | sh"
then
"meteor"
in the plexrequests folder.

it is as if the meteor install was not correctly installed even though it did not give any error during installation.
When i type meteor it will say: "env: can't execute 'bash': No such file or directory"

I am not sure if it is because i need the pre-requisite that your have mentioned?
Not this is true where can i find the pre-requisite?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

"Another pre-requisite of setting this up is Father_Mande's excellent HX_Desktop. You can find that in the 3rd party apps forum."

You have to be running this in a Xterm session on the HX_Desktop. There aren't any other options ATM.
richardpoyner

Post by richardpoyner »

Du you have a link to the "HX_Desktop"?
richardpoyner

Post by richardpoyner »

If have also tried to install the .net version of the plexrequests which was up and running, by then i got an error when something was loaded in a dll file.
So thats why i would like to try out the meteor version.

Is this the link? http://forum.asustor.com/viewforum.php?f=154
richardpoyner

Post by richardpoyner »

Hey Mike.

Never got the meteor to run.
And did not want to do the HX_Desktop because it seemed a bit too technical for me.
But i looked more at the Plexrequests.Net: https://github.com/tidusjar/PlexRequests.Net
And it was very easy to setup.

Simply get the files and run mono PlexRequests.exe and you can test if it works :)

I have some scripts, inspired by you, to check if the service is running and if not the start it :)
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Would you post your scripts here? I'm interested in taking a peek at them. I like PlexRequests.net much better than I like the original PlexRequests, as I'm now starting to re-collect my music libraries...

Yes, I got it to work, BTW... Just need to figure out how to make it auto start and then I'm good...
richardpoyner

Post by richardpoyner »

*/5 * * * * /volume1/Misc/ChkPlexRequests.sh

ChkPlexRequests.sh:
#!/bin/sh

curl -I -m 8 "localhost:3579/userlogin";
if [ "$?" -ne "0" ]

then
/usr/sbin/syslog --log 0 --level 0 --user admin --event "PlexRequests isn't running: Starting it"
exec nohup mono /volume1/Misc/plexrequests/PlexRequests.exe &
fi

exit 0
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

That was the missing piece, thanks.... :) I now have the .net version running as I had hoped it would.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”