[F.Y.I.] Bash and Linux tools will be available in Windows10 natively

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

father.mande
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

[F.Y.I.] Bash and Linux tools will be available in Windows10 natively

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

For Your Information ...

INSIDER program (Windows) ... include, now, the first Beta tools to integrate Bash, sed, grep, etc. tools (from Ubuntu) natively on Windows platform

This is very interesting for the interface to communalise some procedure and utilities ...
Bash is one of the shell in ASUSTOR (at minima in Entware) ... so the same expertise can be apply even in ADM (or Linux) or will be apply in few time (Public beta ... in "Anniversary Update" of Windows 10 in summer ... ) on Windows 10 .

more info : https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/ ... n-windows/

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
PinguMann

Re: [F.Y.I.] Bash and Linux tools will be available in Windows10 natively

Post by PinguMann »

This must be a Hoax.

What can bash do with e.g. chown & chmod on NTFS (which is a POSIX compliant FS)? What happens with case sensitive usage on NTFS? ls and such stuff can be functions that use dir, but not real Linux commands.

OR - It is the first step to prepare developers for the Apple move to keep the OS GUI and drop all else below for a Linux derivation.
Windows 2K, XP and Win7 was quite usable as a GUI, better than the few good Linux distros' Desktops.
Linux with an official Windows GUI and a FOSS borrowed *NIX System?
It will come the day that Win will go the Apple way; I propose Windows WiNIX, WSX, WinX, or something similar!

Strange thoughts ....
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Perhaps ... BUT

This is available in Insider program ... so register you and test ...

This already exist with multiple solutions :
... MinGW for ex. or "official Linux tools" from Microsoft or the long time know Cygwin (and X server Cygwin/X) ALL can change and modify access right and owner ...

For access right ... solution also exist :
Samba to get or set the correct access right can map any basic Micosoft flags to Linux flags, or partial A.C.L. with Linux A.C.L. or total by using (hidden in Linux but existing) Windows A.C.L.
MinGW or Cygwin also support windows access right ... and for BASH and tools ... generally it's enough ...

Do hesitate to test yourself ... to see if chmod and chown (your example works) ... do the job ... (sorry but they do it)
NTFS is supported ... but certainly out of some specific options ... BUT UID (corresponding to user ... Windows don't know internally user ... BUT UID with user value is only a name (like a DNS name is for TCPIP)) is managed correctly so user / access right are managed

BUT it's a RIGHT for each person to don't accept this as a reality ... the information is only ... for information ... no more and it's true as any news ... when confirmed by real tools.

If you are a "Linux pure player" ... test it and return experience ... good or bad ... I have tested bash and current Linux tools ... also ssh and some others tools ... but my advice is only one and I don't think to have do ALL and tested ALL ... just a small small part ...
POSIX is only a very small part of potential problem ... and mapping solutions already exist BEFORE any Microsoft announcement.

I have tests multiple bash and lot run ... some require adaptation ... but it's when they require specific interface (for ex. W.M.I.) this require partial "specific to Windows" adaptation ...

I am not a Microsoft FAN ... but I am always curious (after tests) about new announce ... but I don't dream ... just know (so also limitations) what is possible to do ...

So you can reject it (it's 100% your right) but Hoax is just false ... it's not the program your dream to have ... but this don't put in trash all others solutions (even limited)
... so, please, return to the basic : did you test it ... because for a hoax ... it's an existing one ... or if you don't trust Microsoft ... try others solutions existing from long time :D :D

Philippe.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

For septic ... than think it's not an existing software ...

some video and demonstration exist on some Microsoft site
https://experiences.microsoft.fr/channe ... F0LBjpo.97
... in French I am not registered in MSDN English site ...

perquisite :
enter in mode insider
load / install 14316 ... (delay is long 1 to 3 days ... ) if you don't have a MSDN account
enter in developer mode
reboot (as usual ... for Windows)
after ... download all tools provide by ... based is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS ... 16.04 must be in 16.04 LTS
apt tools are available (so apt-get install git) install git for you ...

video show you a Ruby blog web application
... etc.

So test it ...
Philippe.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”