Server Address When on Wifi vs. LTE/Internet

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.
Jagstyles
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Server Address When on Wifi vs. LTE/Internet

Post by Jagstyles »

Quick question and hoping to get some clarification or help on this. I've noticed that when I'm connected to my home WIFI, I cannot use my Asustor Cloud ID when trying to connect to my NAS or its apps. I have to use the internal IP address i.e.: 192.168.x.x. However, when I'm away from home, I must use my Asustor Cloud ID which maps to my NAS' actual IP address on the net.

Is there a way to make it so that for both WIFI and Non-WIFI I can simply use my Asustor Cloud ID? Is there a setting somewhere that would allow me to achieve this?

Thanks
MikeG.6.5

Re: Server Address When on Wifi vs. LTE/Internet

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

There is, but it's not on your NAs. this is on the router itself. You have to first off forward ports on the router to be able to access it through the router. Then you have to enable some sort of DDNS service to consistently update the remote IP to a routing (or domain name service) table somewhere. These tables are hosted on various servers across the world, and each is responsible for specific domain types or ranges.

The good thing about that last part is, Asustor provides you with a DDNS service free of charge. It's going to be something like http://yoursigninnamehere.myasustor.com. You can se the specific domain name in "Ease of Access" page in the server's settings app. Then you just need to know what port to access what service on your nas. These ports will need to be forwarded on the router itself, for each service.

For example: I have ports for SABnzb, Couchpotato, PlexPy, Plex and the NAS itself all forwarded. So I can access each of these service via my user ID from Myasustor with the address above. So to access Plex remotely would be http:\\myloginidhere.myasustor.com:plexport\web and to access a different service would be the same until you get to the ":". This would be the port number of the service involved.

Each of the apps have specific ports they use locally, and you can forward those if you aren't too worried about security, or you can forward something off the wall if you are really anal about it. You can select ports from basically anything over 1000 to 65000 or there abouts. There are some ports designated for specific things, like 21 for FTP, 80 for web sites and 53 for DNS look ups, etc. so you shouldn't use those... You can find listings for dedicated ports from a slew of online sources.
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

Hello Jagstyles,

If I understand correctly, you are able to connect locally and remote. Then portforwarding should be setup and working correctly. I know that some routers do not route trafic from the internal network to the internet and then back to the internal network (Cisco does not allow this IIRC). The cheapass router I got from my ISP does support this and I am able to connect to the internet name of my NAS from the inside. Maybe you can check with the supplier of the router or give us the make and model of the router.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
Jagstyles

Post by Jagstyles »

Kapitein Haak wrote:Hello Jagstyles,

If I understand correctly, you are able to connect locally and remote. Then portforwarding should be setup and working correctly. I know that some routers do not route trafic from the internal network to the internet and then back to the internal network (Cisco does not allow this IIRC). The cheapass router I got from my ISP does support this and I am able to connect to the internet name of my NAS from the inside. Maybe you can check with the supplier of the router or give us the make and model of the router.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
That's exactly right, I am able to connect to my NAS from both Wifi and over the internet, except I have to connect to them diffrently. As Mike mentioned in his post above, I already have setup my assister cloud ID and it works when accessing the NAS from the outside but not when connected via Wifi. I'm with an ISP here in Canada that provides the router. It's a Home Hub 2000, some proprietary router they use. It's actually a very good router but not sure what I would need to do to be able to login to my NAS using my assister cloud ID when connected via Wifi.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Jagstyles

Post by Jagstyles »

MikeG.6.5 wrote:For example: I have ports for SABnzb, Couchpotato, PlexPy, Plex and the NAS itself all forwarded. So I can access each of these service via my user ID from Myasustor with the address above. So to access Plex remotely would be http:\\myloginidhere.myasustor.com:plexport\web and to access a different service would be the same until you get to the ":". This would be the port number of the service involved.
Yeah, i've done this as I can access it from the internet when not on Wifi using my Asustor Cloud ID. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to do so when connected via Wifi. Trying to figure out if there's a setting on the router that would allow this.
Jagstyles

Post by Jagstyles »

The other crappy part about not being able to use my Asustor Cloud ID when on Wifi is that I have to change the mapped drive each time. For example, if I'm on Wifi, I use my internal IP address to Asustor to map the folders I want. As soon as I leave my Wifi network, that will no longer work.

Similarly, if I use userid.asustor.com when setting up the mapped drive while not on the Wifi network, as soon as I come home and I'm on the Wifi network, that mapped drive stops working again.

Is there some setting in my router that would allow for me to get this working? Ports 8000-8001 are already open. Not sure what settings I should be looking at to get this working.

Thanks
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

I found a link which explains this much better then I did: https://www.avforums.com/threads/bell-h ... s.1891897/
Especially:
I don't know your equipment, but in general terms it's a matter of design ethos. Think of the firewall in your router as having two "interfaces" one internal and one external. In normal operation there's no reason why traffic addressed to the external interface should arrive at the internal interface. So many firewall designs regard this as suspect and drop it.

In big corporate type environments we "fix" this problem by arranging for DNS to resolve names differently for internal devices and external ones. Let's use an example and say I've built something called widget.thing at (internal) IP address 172.16.10.11 and my router is setup with external IP address 1.2.3.4 with a port forward to 172.16.10.11. Externally we arrange for DNS to resolve widget.thing to 1.2.3.4 (as you are doing using DynDNS.) But for devices connected to the internal network, I use a different DNS server (my own internal one) and arrange for that to resolve widget.thing to 172.16.10.11. Thence our internal traffic never reaches the router and trips up at the firewall.
and from someone else:
The Sagemcom 5250 - what Bell calls the Home Hub 2000, is a multi function box - including a Router and Switch and WAP (Wireless Access Point) and a few other things. Its WAP is very good, however its Router functions are very limited. Some routers provide an option, technically called S-NAT (often referred to home users as LAN Loopback) as an option that can be enabled. If this function is not enabled, you can't access your network from within, using your external IP address. Since DNS translates a domain name to your external IP address, this is why it doesn't work. Stupid - yes. S-NAT is the proper architecture for your situation (others will tell you that you should edit your HOSTS file, or implement your own DNS Server proxy - ridiculous). The 5250 doesn't do S-NAT.
are of interest.

It basically means that unless you can do some more advance networking, it isn't going to work internally and externally with a single name/ip.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Time to replace the device, I think... You can buy an after market one for reasonable price and either give them their unit back or hold on to it. But either way, if the device can't do what you want/need it to do, it's time for a new one.
Jagstyles

Post by Jagstyles »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just a few final things. How do I confirm though whether my device/router is capable of doing this or not? I didn't see any previous posts outlining how one can confirm this???

Secondly, I can't simply replace this router as its always feeding my TV connection throughout the house. It's Fibe TV here in Canada through Bell.
Jagstyles

Post by Jagstyles »

Looks like it's just not possible, as you guys mentioned, with my router. Here's a post someone put on another forum:

"A common problem people have with FibreOp is you can't use your external IP within you lan to check if portwarding is working."

Bummer. So can I map my NAS both ways, first using my asustor cloud ID and second using the internal IP address? Then depending on whether I'm on my laptop at home or out of the home, it will automatically connect to either?

Thanks

Return to “Tips & Tricks”