FFMPEG install

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

MikeG.6.5
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: FFMPEG install

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Brain fart.... Try it now and let me know if it's there now

Too many copies of the convert zip on various machines, hard to keep them all straight sometimes... :)
SPOinNS

Post by SPOinNS »

Hey MikeG.6.5. I tried to PM you but wasn't getting anything to leave my outbox so here's a cut and paste:

The zip looks great now. I'll be installing it this week but I'm doubtful that using my 204ATE's cpu will work well for this purpose. It seems wrong when I've got an i7-6700k & 32 gigs on my main rig sitting idle overnight that could pull files from the NAS, convert and return to the NAS.

I thought I'd point out the following from the 7th paragraph of your readme file:
...To run the script it will look at the folder included in the run-tv.sh (be default this is file to see if there are media items needing conversion. It will check every 10 minutes to see if ffmpeg is running. If it is, it exists. If not, then it will start processing. If there aren't any files to run, it exists. If there are, they will be converted and REPLACED. It will REPLACE the files it processes with the new one. If you want to KEEP the original file edit the AutoProcess.ini file and look for the line that reads : delete_original = True and change the True to False.

Spell checkers - never trust them.

It probably doesn't make a difference to the users of the zip file. They should be able to discern your intent regardless but newbs might struggle needlessly.

Hey, it's a genuine existential crisis!
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Yeah, sorry... And if I edit that now, I get ANOTHER danged version of the files floating around! :) (No worries, I did make the edit! :)

I have actually run this script on both a 202T and a 304T with few problems. And it does run fairly fast, given the limitations on both of those devices. One thing you can do with the i7 is to map a drive to the media on the NAS you want to convert, edit the run-TV.sh to reflect the mapped path/drive and run it across the network. If you are doing it at night, should run pretty seamless. Just make sure when you do this you have permissions to write the file back or the script will fail.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems setting it up.

Also, for those that WANT MKV's there is a script on the Plex forums for converting everything to MKV. Not sure why anyone would want to do this, but, if you do.... :)

Return to “Tips & Tricks”