Mount shared windows drive

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.
whitevil
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Mount shared windows drive

Post by whitevil »

Hi

I would like to share a directory from my windows computer via the webdav service on my NAS, so when I connect to my NAS through webdav I could see my share windows directory from it.

I know it's sound illogical to mount a computer directory into the NAS to have access to some file, but since my NAS is almost full, I need to know if there's a solution that do not involve adding an external harddrive to the NAS, or having to swap files between my computer and NAS each time I need some files.

Thanks
crazynas

Re: Mount shared windows drive

Post by crazynas »

Hi
You can upgrade your HDD in large size.... ;)
Elrique64

Re: Mount shared windows drive

Post by Elrique64 »

crazynas wrote:Hi
You can upgrade your HDD in large size.... ;)
Not what the OP was asking, though.... :( Not every device can add a larger HDD to the pool. In my case, I have 2x3TB HDD's in Raid 0 on a 2 bay NAS. Can't change to a different Raid, can't increase drive size without breaking/remaking the raid. I would guess the OP has similar issues, which is why he asked the question.

One option you can use is ownCloud. It's pretty easy to set up, if you follow the guide here:

http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php? ... loud#p2980

Basically what this does is mirror a folder (designated during client install) on your computer to the server automatically. This doesn't solve your disk capacity issue, but it does give you the functionality you want. You would just place the file(s) in the ownCloud folder on your desktop and after a little bit of time it's sitting on the server, so you can access it on another computer, tablet or what have you.

There is one drawback to this, though... It will use up a bit more space on your NAS, and if space is tight, you might really need to think about adding another external to the device. All of Asustor's NAS's have USB3 support and I can attest to using more than a single USB3 with a 7 port USB3 port replicator. (about $20 from ebay.)

Sooner or later you are going to have to add more HDD space to the NAS. You might find yourself in a situation where upgrading your NAS itself would be more cost effective. (Going from a 2 bay to a 4 bay, etc...) That's about where I am now. More drive bays + better CPU = time to upgrade.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”