Moving disks from other non-Asustor NAS...

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.
flyingj
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Moving disks from other non-Asustor NAS...

Post by flyingj »

I'll be moving two 2TB disks over to a new AS5102T here once the unit arrives. (Hi everybody, I'm excited about my new NAS!)

I'll only have the two bare drives to work with so I want to make sure my plan to set up the 5102T and migrate my data will work ok.

After pulling the drives out of the old NAS, can I put just one drive in the 5102T and let it format?

Then put the other drive on my USB drive dock, plug it into the 5102T, then copy the shares' contents over to the 5102T.

Then once verified on the new machine, put the second drive from my old NAS that was used to copy over into the second bay of the 5102T and let it build/mirror the first drive?

Any feedback is appreciated to minimize my exposure to data loss!

Justin
crazynas

Re: Moving disks from other non-Asustor NAS...

Post by crazynas »

Hi
Please use usb or eSATA cable connect to your old HDD from external copy to new AS5102T, due to different file system. I afraid it cannot migrate file directly. external and Internal detect device status is different. ;)
flyingj

Post by flyingj »

crazynas wrote:Hi
Please use usb or eSATA cable connect to your old HDD from external copy to new AS5102T, due to different file system. I afraid it cannot migrate file directly. external and Internal detect device status is different. ;)
Thanks for your help. So, I can put one disk in at first, copy from the other disk via usb, then install that disk to build RAID 1?
016hnoor

Post by 016hnoor »

I'll only have the two bare drives to work with so I want to make sure my plan to set up the 5102T and migrate my data will work ok.

After pulling the drives out of the old NAS, can I put just one drive in the 5102T and let it format?
NOOR
damien599901

Post by damien599901 »

flyingj wrote:I'll be moving two 2TB disks over to a new AS5102T here once the unit arrives. (Hi everybody, I'm excited about my new NAS!)

Then put the other drive on my USB drive dock, plug it into the 5102T, then copy the shares' contents over to the 5102T.

Then once verified on the new machine, put the second drive from my old NAS that was used to copy over into the second bay of the 5102T and let it build/mirror the first drive?

Any feedback is appreciated to minimize my exposure to data loss!

Justin
what was your previous NAS? If this was an ASUSTOR, you can keep your data and place your disks in another ASUSTOR NAS. Test done with an AS202te and an AS5002T
Storage: AS7004T & AS5002T
Network: FREEBOX REVOLUTION V6
Laptop: Apple MACBOOK Pro OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Media Player: ASUSTOR NAS with Kodi 16 Beta & HD_Engine 1 (thanks Fathe_Mande)
Portable: iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air
orion

Post by orion »

016hnoor wrote:I'll only have the two bare drives to work with so I want to make sure my plan to set up the 5102T and migrate my data will work ok.

If your old nas configuration is raid-1, you can simply remove one drive out from the old nas. Put the drive to 5102T and initialize system. Copy your data from old nas to new nas through network. After done, move the drive-2 (old nas) to 5102T and migrate to raid-1. ;)
kartahon1

Post by kartahon1 »

I am using the latest Asus stock firmware... Rather annoying that Asus doesn't natively support link aggregation. I couldn't see any setting in the firmware so just left it. ????

Return to “Tips & Tricks”