[HOW TO] Launch OpenVPN client at startup

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.
canufrank
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

[HOW TO] Launch OpenVPN client at startup

Post by canufrank »

Thanks, to Steve@AST's post on startup scripts, I've finally been able to get my VPN client to connect automatically on reboot. It would probably be simpler for ASUSTOR to just support it, but here we go.

Forewarned: Currently, I'm storing the VPN password in plain text (not an issue on my system), and I will update this exposure at a later point. Even nicer if I knew ASUSTOR's key and could decrypt the password already stored in their .conf file. (Obviously I DO know the password, but a generic decryption would allow anybody to plug and play, as well as only having to change the password in a single place).

1. Add a VPN configuration via ADM -> Settings -> VPN. Name it mycxn. For OpenVPN, ASUSTOR will create 3 files in /usr/builtin/etc/vpnclient
  2. [list=i]
  3. mycxn.ovpn - an OpenVPN configuration file which includes the line

Code: Select all

auth-user-pass /usr/builtin/etc/vpnclient/mycxn
  4. mycxn.conf - an ASUSTOR file containing connection details (including an encrypted password string)
  5. mycxn.crt - the public certificate you uploaded
[*]Create a script - let's name it vpnlaunch.sh and save to any user's Home (e.g. ~admin or \\MyNAS\Home if using CIFS)[/*]

#!/bin/sh
MYCXN="/usr/builtin/etc/vpnclient/mycxn"
echo myusername 1>"$MYCXN"
echo mypassword 1>>"$MYCXN"

mkdir -p /dev/net
mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200

/usr/builtin/bin/openvpn --config "${MYCXN}.ovpn" --remote-cert-tls server --auth-nocache --resolv-retry 86400 --ping-restart 300 &
sleep 2
rm "$MYCXN"
  • Note that MYCXN is set the same as auth-user-pass. It is based on whatever name you specify for your VPN connection
  • ASUSTOR deletes the TUN/TAP adapter on every reboot and recreates it only if you manually Connect your VPN. The mknod does the same thing.
  • Refer to openvpn.net for details on the options specified in addition to ASUSTOR's rather sparse config file
[*]Make the script file executable. (Edit the path if you're saving it elsewhere.)[/*]

chmod +x ~admin/vpnlaunch.sh 
[*]Instead of moving this script as suggested by Steve, create a symbolic link (like all of the other startup entries)[/*]

ln -s ~admin/vpnlaunch.sh /usr/local/etc/init.d/S99vpnlaunch
  • This means that the script is easily editable from any client that mounts using that user's credentials with no further need for SSH
  • I've indexed my init script as #99 to ensure all dependencies are met. The VPN will connect by the time your NAS beeps on reboot.
[/list]
--
soilderco

Re: [HOW TO] Launch OpenVPN client at startup

Post by soilderco »

Hi
Thank you guys.... 8-)
Storage: AS-302T

Return to “Tips & Tricks”