[HOW TO] Write system/connect/file log for your applications

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

MikeG.6.5
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: [HOW TO] Write system/connect/file log for your applications

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I am trying to write a small script that is called by PlexPy to write when someone starts and stops watching a show in the File Access logs.

When I try to use this line: /usr/sbin/syslog -g 2 -l 0 --user admin --event "PlexPy is reporting $2 is streaming $3 on $4 from $5" I get this instead of a returned prompt:

Code: Select all

SysLog. Ver. 0.1.0
Copyright (C) 2011-2013 Asustor Systems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.

Usage: /usr/sbin/syslog options
  -h --help             Display this usage information.
  -q --quiet            Be quiet.
  -g --log <type>       Type of log (0: System, 1: Connection, 2: File Access, 3: Boot Up)
  -l --level <type>     Type of level (0: INFO, 1: WARNING, 2: ERROR, 3: CRITICAL)
  -t --time <datetime>  Date and time format YYYY-MM-DD HH:mm:ss (2012-03-15 09:13:38)
  -u --user <name>      User name
  -e --event <msg>      Event message
  -f --from <address>   Log from which host ip address
  -c --computer <name>  Log from which computer name
  -p --protocol <name>  Connection/File Access protocol (service)
  -i --action <type>    Connection action (0: Sign in, 1: Sign out, 2: Sign in failed)
  -a --access <type>    File access type (0: Read, 1: Write, 2: Delete, 3: Create, 4: Create Folder, 5: Delete Folder, 6: Rename, 7: Move/Copy )
  -s --source <path>    File access file full path

Example:
  System log:
    /usr/sbin/syslog --log 0 --level 0 --user admin --event "System started"
  Connection log:
    /usr/sbin/syslog -g 1 -l 1 -u admin -f 192.168.0.1 -c User-PC -p SAMBA -i 2
  File access log:
    /usr/sbin/syslog -g 2 -l 1 -u admin -f 192.168.1.10 -p FTP -a 2 -s "/volume1/Public/file.txt"
  Boot up log:
    /usr/sbin/syslog --log 3 --level 0 --time "2012-03-14 23:59:59" --user system --event "NAS boot up"
And nothing shows up in the File Access Logs. When I use this line: /usr/sbin/syslog -g 0 -l 0 -u admin -e "PlexPy is reporting $2 is streaming $3 on $4 from $5"
I get an entry in the System Logs, but I don't get the passed parameters. So something isn't quite right with how the syslog works. It's not writing to the specified log file. As far as what to pass it I hope I can set that in the file somehow, too... I'm going to try messing with that a bit more.

The parameters I'm passing are Server Name, Plex User ID, Title of show/movie, Device and IP they are accessing the file from.

I need a developer to look into the syslog functions, as they appear to be broken for right now. I can't write to either the connection or the file access logs via a shell script at all. Only the system logs.

I will copy and paste this into a ticket as well.
orion

Re: [HOW TO] Write system/connect/file log for your applications

Post by orion »

I checked the function being working fine. If you want to put log in "File Access log", you need to specify log, level, user, IP, action, source and protocol (just the same as columns in System Information -> Log -> File Access log), i.e., -g, -l, -u, -f, -p, -a, -s. And you need to enable logging protocols under System Information -> Log -> Preferences -> Management.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”