Proper remote file management?

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.
szamy1
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Proper remote file management?

Post by szamy1 »

Hello!
Sorry for the simple wording. I'm not sure of the proper terms of these processes :|
Usually, I manage my files on my NAS via ADM because the cut-paste function is instantaneous. If I do it in a file manager on the SMB attached drives, it is first copying and then deleting the files. Obviously, it is much longer than moving the files in one step.
What would be the proper way? How should I manage my files from a Win or Mac computer?
Thank you very much!
Nazar78

Re: Proper remote file management?

Post by Nazar78 »

On SMB, if you were to cut/copy & paste only within a single "share", then it will be instantaneous. But if you try the same from one "share" to another (e.g. /Downloads/foobar.mp4 to /Media/foobar.mp4), it will first download the file to a temp local (PC/Mac) path then transfer it over. That's how SMB works.

On ADM, the commands are done on the server level (i.e. 'mv /Downloads/foobar.mp4 /Media/foobar.mp4'), hence it's quick.

If you want almost somewhat similar transfer experience like ADM, use some other protocols like FTP or WebDAV (avoid SSH[SFTP/SCP] as they also restrict transfers across mount points, hence best used with command lines), then find a good client e.g. for Windows use WinSCP. For WinSCP, just drag and drop to move files across the folder tree or hold CTRL to copy instead. If you're transferring huge files, be sure to set a higher timeout in the session's settings else the app with error out while waiting for the command to complete. Even if you see timeout error probably set too low, the transfer will still be completed on the server-side.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
szamy1

Re: Proper remote file management?

Post by szamy1 »

Thank you very much Nazar78 for your quick and detailed answer! I'll keep your advice in mind.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”