Viewing 4K Drone video over network to Samsung 4k TV (no HDMI needed)

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

JacktheRipperPhD
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Viewing 4K Drone video over network to Samsung 4k TV (no HDMI needed)

Post by JacktheRipperPhD »

I thought some of you could benefit from the lessons I learned while getting my 4K video files from my new DJI Mini 2 drone, stored on my NAS, to play perfectly on my Samsung 4K TV. My NAS is in a media closet in my garage, so I wanted the NAS-TV connection to be over my GB network instead of using an HDMI connection. Here are the steps:
(1) I had already created a backup job that placed my video files from my PC to the NAS.
(2) I tried using three media server apps from the Asustor App suite, UPnP 2, MiniDLNA and Plex. The first two worked perfectly without any problem, but Plex was an utter disaster, due to some kind of authorization/firewall/browser hell that I could never figure out.
(3) So, taking UPnP 2 as an example, I installed the app, ran it, and added my video files from the NAS backup to the UPnP 2 file structure. The UPnP2 server magically showed up as a source on my Samsung TV.
(4) I selected that source, then drilled down to my video files and played them. Initially I got some buffering on the 4K files (1K files played OK). Turns out the buffering was caused by my wired connection from my router to the TV. It went through three GB switches (all CAT 6 cabling), but somehow that was the source of the buttering.
(5) The solution was to go 5G WiFi from my router to the TV. That configuration plays perfectly. MiniDLNA worked just as well.

So, sounds simple and it is, but it took a couple of days to figure this out. Hope you are successful too...
Becoming a happy customer, as I figure all this out

Return to “Tips & Tricks”