Reduce resonance and improve airflow in AS5304T

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

MadPup
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Reduce resonance and improve airflow in AS5304T

Post by MadPup »

I was hearing some annoying resonance emanating from my AS5304T so after experimenting with various fixes I found a cure. I applied a couple of inches or 1/2" adhesive felt tape to the upper track of each drive bay. Don't make the mistake of putting it on the lower track otherwise it will stress the drive connectors at the back. You will still hear the drives doing their thing of course, but case vibrations should be gone.

I was reading some reviews on Amazon for this NAS and some people complained that their drives were running hot (> 50C). I checked mine and sure enough they were similar. It was also obvious that the middle two drives (of four) were running hotter than the outside two. Looking inside you can see that airflow is not great in this model. The single drive backplane board creates a wall in front of the fan allowing heat to build up between the drives. The simple act of removing the front cover permanently has dropped the drive temps by about 5C.
kinoxl

Re: Reduce resonance and improve airflow in AS5304T

Post by kinoxl »

Thank you!!
Nazar78

Re: Reduce resonance and improve airflow in AS5304T

Post by Nazar78 »

Good tips I might try this. Mine is in an enclosed TV console with glass panel, yet I could hear the humming especially during scheduled midnight backups. The system is usually > 40C but the disks are > 50C on load and < 50C when asleep.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “Tips & Tricks”