HELP!!!! Please ......

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Talostan
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

HELP!!!! Please ......

Post by Talostan »

Hi,

Dont post here often but wow i need some help. I have 2 NAS devices. 1 is on old AS-302T and my main device which is a AS6240T. I used to just use two bays of the 6240T with 2 x 3 tb drives. The old nas was put to one side and not used at all. I ordered 4x 8tb drives to install in the 6240T which i am running in raid 10. When i fired up my 302T and hot swapped the 2x 3tb in there the power leds went off and the hard drive bay lights flashed contiuously and made a beeping sound. This worries me greatly as you may understand as all my data is stored on there drives. My only guess is that the 302T is not setup for the 2 x 3tb? Can anyone help as i am very worried that i have lost all of my data :?

On a side note the 302 in command centre shows up as uninitalised. Does this mean i should use one of my new disks to setp the nas then hot sway the 2x 3tb in there to make them work? I am just clutching at straws here btw.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
asustor.png
asustor.png (33.15 KiB) Viewed 6287 times
Nazar78

Re: HELP!!!! Please ......

Post by Nazar78 »

Don't think you can hot swap between two different models as they have their own differences i.e. firmware, DOM and kernel modules. If you haven't done anything else, put back the 2x3tb into the AS6240T and you should be able to see your data.

To migrate from raid 1 (I assumed your 2x3tb is raid 1 as you didn't mention) to raid 10, do everything in the AS6240T. It requires two phase, 1st migrate raid level to higher one and 2nd expand capacity. Refer here for details https://www.asustor.com/online/College_topic?topic=352
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Oh yes most importantly backup backup backup ☺️
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
orion

Post by orion »

Talostan wrote:When i fired up my 302T and hot swapped the 2x 3tb in there the power leds went off and the hard drive bay lights flashed contiuously and made a beeping sound.
You should turn AS6204T and AS-302T off, then move your 2 disks from AS6204T to AS-302T. That should work. You should not fire NAS up first.

If it' does not still work, I guess your AS-302T ADM version is too old. You'd better to make sure that both AS6204T and AS-302T ADM versions are the latest one. mm... You can put one new disk into AS-302T, initialize it, upgrade ADM.

As Nazar78 mentioned, your data should be all right. You can move disks to AS6204T, then power it on.
Talostan

Post by Talostan »

after I got over my initial fear of what was going on and took a look at the ADM versions I came to the same conclusion. I am erring towards buying a large 8Tb external drive to use as backup and back up all the data on the 3TB and then move it back to the raid 10 setup and forgetting about the 3TB lol. The fear is still lingering in the background lol
Talostan

Post by Talostan »

Now I am really stuck and having evil eyes flashing at me via my wife. I am getting no disk found on the 4 bay nas when I stick the 3 TB drives in. The lights are green on the drive bays but no disk found. I fear the worst....
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Did you shutdown the 4 bay, replace the new with old disks then start it up again? We're unsure of the exact steps you took with the old disks and the new disks. Typical while powered on, you can't just remove then reinsert/replace disks while the array is active and healthy. The array could have been marked as degraded while you remove even one disk then it'll try to rebuild/recover the array as you reinsert. One needs to go through the ADM wizard or with manual mdadm commands. Also the OS lives on the first mirrored partition of each disk which being handed over from the DOM post boot.

Shutdown and boot up with only the 2x3tb see if you can find your data else you'll need a Linux machine to recover. Something similar to this https://support.asustor.com/index.php?/ ... using-a-pc you can also boot the NAS with live USB in attempt to recover your data.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Talostan

Post by Talostan »

I did shut down the 4 bay (on all occasions btw) and then inserted both and the no disk present came up. I am exploring the recovery of data via the link you supplied (I found already) and will attempt to recover. I have ordered a new external 6TB HD that is coming tomorrow. My question is: If I can see the drive on the Linux wizard can I copy over the data to the ext. drive? Will it show up in the Ubuntu Desktop? Btw thanks for all your help it is greatly appreciated.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

NP, hope you're able to recover your data. If you can see your data mounted on the Linux OS, yes you can easily copy them over to the external drive as per normal using its file manager Nautilus. I've done this several times but I boot the USB directly on the NAS, press del on boot up then select the USB device to boot from.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “Tips & Tricks”