Damaged disk replacement

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

polnsf
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Damaged disk replacement

Post by polnsf »

Hi everybody, my volume 1 disk is damages and I'm about to replace it. I read this guide: https://support.asustor.com/index.php?/ ... ts-damaged
but I'm not sure how to proceed. My disks are in single raid, i already backup all volume 1 data, do I have to replace the disk with the nas always on? Data in volume 2 will not be deleted?
Thank you in advice for any answers and sorry for my very bad english
orion

Re: Damaged disk replacement

Post by orion »

It is not a good idea to set volume to single disk mode. Anyway, as the guide in procedure-1, you should replace the bad disk with the new one first. Your volume-2 should be all right if you follow the guide.
polnsf

Post by polnsf »

"Users can hot-swap the damaged drive directly without shutdown the NAS". Then, with the nas on?
orion

Post by orion »

"without shutdown the NAS": apparently, yes. I don't see any other ways for this description. No other descriptions to ask you shutdown after that.
polnsf

Post by polnsf »

Thank you!
leejhamilton

Post by leejhamilton »

Anyone managed to get this to work?

When do you replace the disk?

I've tried it by replacing disk first (all JBOD) and it says its deleting volume 1 but it wont rebuild the new volume 1. Then upon further investigation seems its in read only mode as disc 1 in unavailable.

I've even tried cloning the disk to a new one using clonezilla in raw mode and the disk isn't detected. Bit lost where to go from here without totally rebuilding my NAS and trying to recover the data on 4 discs.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”