It is currently Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:52 pm
All times are UTC + 8 hours

File Replication (sort of)

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

File Replication (sort of)

Postby OneEye » Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:19 am

Hello All,

I have a laptop that I take to work remotely. The files on that machine mirror what currently exists on my NAS. What I would like to do is to set up some sort of routine so that if the files change on the NAs they are reflected on the machine once I connect to my office network, but if the files change on the machine they are updated on the NAS. Is there a feature that I dont know about that would allow something like this? I work at both places. The machine I use to work remotely and the machine I use at the office are separate machines. At the office I work purely off of the NAS, when remote, I do not have NAS access so the remote machine has the folders I need loaded on it. Is there a feature, an application, or a method to make the remote work machine either push changed data to the NAS or to pull changed data from the NAS?

Thanks,
OneEye
OneEye

Re: File Replication (sort of)

Postby Nazar78 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:14 pm

I would frankly script my own using inotifywait and rsync to suite my needs but you could try use the Syncthing app both on the NAS and work machine.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - [Internal: 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10, External 5 Bay USB3: 4x2TB Seagate RAID5 + 480GB Intel SSD for ADM-OS/Apps]
When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response.
Nazar78

Postby marp » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:31 pm

Take a look on Syncthing or Resillio Sync
marp

Postby AS6404T user » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:24 pm

I also recommend Syncthing. I have been using it for several years and I am very happy with it. Almost instantaneous update to the most recent version of the file on all connected computers. Nice interface and a well maintained app.

I also have my NAS connected to Syncthing but that is kind of redundant. It works equally well without the NAS.
AS6404T user

Return to Tips & Tricks