Dnsmasq running on nas?

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Acuario
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Dnsmasq running on nas?

Post by Acuario »

I have just bought my first NAS - a Drivestor 2 AS1102T in an attempt to organize my files from several pc's that I use for development.
It seems the perfect place to run a local DNS server for my network but it appears there are no apps that provide this functionality.

I looked for a dns server and found dnsmasq which seems to be what I need.

I've been trying to find out information about installing it on my nas but the little I have found doesn't help.

There is an article https://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php ... asq#p25211 but the commands don't work on my box - it seems ipkg isn't there as trying the command returns "sh: ipkg: not found"

I'm not a linux expert so am a bit stuck,...

Can anyone help?
orion

Re: Dnsmasq running on nas?

Post by orion »

I believe you should install Entware (https://forum.asustor.com/viewforum.php?f=156). Command should be "opkg".
ndl101

Re: Dnsmasq running on nas?

Post by ndl101 »

I know this is an "old" thread but I am replying in order to improve the quality of the thread for future reference.
Acuario wrote: it seems ipkg isn't there as trying the command returns "sh: ipkg: not found"
ipkg is a command provided by optware, a package manager used to install additional software not already present on the NAS. Optware is deprecated and superseded by Entware. Entware provides opkg and can be installed via the Asustor app central.

Personally, I would install Docker on the NAS and run dnsmasq (or maybe even pihole) in a container. If you are not used to working with the command line and docker, Portainer offers a reasonable web interface to Docker.

I made it long as I lacked the time to make it short.

---
Help to self-help:
How to ask (good) questions in a forum
---
General information
NAS: Lockerstor 4 (AS6604T)

Return to “Tips & Tricks”