Can a SD card reader be connected directly to my NAS?

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

JacktheRipperPhD
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Can a SD card reader be connected directly to my NAS?

Post by JacktheRipperPhD »

My drone saves its 4K video files to a SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDHC UHS-I Card. I currently load those files into my PC and then run a targeted backup job to transfer them to my NAS. I then can watch them on my network-connected TV using the techniques in this thread https://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12541

I would like to directly load the files to my NAS using a USB SC card reader instead. Possible? I wasn't able to find anything in this forum on this topic, but please point me to it if you know of one. Thanks...
Becoming a happy customer, as I figure all this out
JacktheRipperPhD

Re: Can a SD card reader be connected directly to my NAS?

Post by JacktheRipperPhD »

Well, this turned out to be terribly easy to do, with the following steps:
(1) From the Asustor home screen, I pressed the File Explorer button and right clicked on the target folder for the files and selected Create Folder, which I named DJI Video.
(2) From the Asustor home screen, I pressed Backup & Restore and selected One Touch Backup. On the popup screen I (a) checked Eject USB Device when backup complete, (b) in the Transfer section I checked the box From USB device to NAS, (c) left the Backup Method as Copy, (d) browsed to the folder I created in Step 1, and then hit Apply.
(3) Now, the front panel of my AS5202 has a bunch of lights above unreadable icons. Bring a flashlight. The bottom two lights are for drives one and two and will have a green down arrow if you have that drive installed. When I plugged in my USB SD card reader into the front panel USB slot on the NAS, the third light from the bottom went to a solid green arrow.
(4) The One Touch Backup button is unlit and hard to see, but it's a physical button with a nice click feel to it. Push and HOLD FOR 1.5 SECONDS to initiate the backup job you defined in Step (2). The USB green down arrow light will begin to blink, indicating the backup is executing. When the backup is completed, the USB light will go off if you checked the Eject USB Device when backup complete boc. If the button had be named the "One Point Five Second Touch Backup" button, I would have got this step right the first time. Instead, I had to to Google to find out why it didn't work the first twenty times I pushed it.

All in All, easy to do once you know how.
Becoming a happy customer, as I figure all this out

Return to “Tips & Tricks”